01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Some help with pairings for a menu Mk3

My annual weekend away with friends has come around again! And due to the popularity of the previous iterations of me sorting some wine pairings out (pretty much solely from advice from this forum), I’m back again for some more suggestions.

I’m really grateful for the advice and suggestions received in the previous years, it has helped to broaden my wine horizons (and that of my friends) and have discovered some cracking wines which have become regulars on my orders. I’ve also gained a bit of knowledge and confidence as a result, so thanks.

This year’s menu has different options for each course, which we’ve not had previously, and creates more of a challenge given the diversity of the dishes.

My musings so far:

Starter:
Attempt to have one wine for both dishes. I expect a light red (e.g. Pinot Noir, Gamay) would do well, but felt that maybe I should avoid a red to start.
?Aromatic white, although not sure how would work with this style of duck:
Pinot Gris ‘P’tit Léon’, Léon Beyer 2017
Tokaji Dry Furmint, Pajzos 2020
I am now wondering whether a rose would be a good option or not, namely a Spanish offering:
Señorio de Sarrίa Rosado, Navarra 2021
Muga Rosado, Rioja 2021
We did have an orange wine during the Mk1 pairing which is still a talking point 4 years on. My thinking was the tannin and structure would stand up to the duck, but fit with the griddle cakes and tapenade;
Didebuli Kakheti Orange Kisi 2021

Main Course:
It seems an unrealistic expectation to have one wine for the mains. I was thinking of a red and a white. A lighter red that would pair with the fillet, but could potentially drink well with the others… A white of the fuller, creamier type that could got with the cod in creamy sauce and potentially with the bearnaise too.
red:
Tyrrell’s Old Winery Pinot Noir 2021
Concha y Toro Corte Marcelo Limarí Pinot Noir 2021
White:
Radford Dale ‘Vinum’ Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch 2020
Jacques Mouton ‘Madeleine’ Chardonnay, Franschhoek 2021

Dessert:
Given the difference in 2 desserts and the relative price of sweet wine, I was just going to plump for one of TWS’s cheaper offerings, and if it doesn’t go with dessert, well, there’ll probably be something on the cheeseboard afterwards
Casa Ermelinda Freitas Moscatel de Setúbal
Cabidos Vin Doux, Cuvée Saint Clément, Petit Manseng 2016 50cl

Any suggestions, ideas and comments are gratefully received, especially if you think I’m barking up the wrong tree!
thanks in advance

[edit to correct typos]

3 Likes

I think your pairings sound good. Especially like the idea of a serious rosé to try to match both starters.

My only other thoughts are that a viognier or other white Rhone might be good with the cod and almonds as it sounds like a fairly rich dish, with bold flavours like red pepper but without that much acidity in the dish, so didn’t want a high acid white. Laurent miquel verité viognier is very good, but lots of options for marsanne/ Rousanne blends too.

Also, couldn’t help but think of one of my favourite pairings which is sauvignon blanc and goats cheese. I don’t care for sauvignon blanc on its own, but the combination works very well for me. Sancerre?

The pinot noirs for the main course are probably fuller bodied than many, so might be good, but I did wonder about a richer red variety for that…sangiovese?

The cabidos petit manseng is great value and versatile in my experience.

2 Likes