01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

So what is this wine?

Lirac Blanc La Fermade, Domaine Maby 2018

A white Rhône that never ceases to amaze for its freshness and vitality. The 2017 is full-flavoured yet crisp and refreshing with it. The secret here is the use of the picpoul grape, which naturally retains its food-friendly freshness.

Picpoul, obs.

But wait, the grape variety named below is Grenache Blanc. Oh, and the reference is to the 2017 vintage and the wine is the 2018 vintage.

Confused? I was.

Luckily Domaine Maby has a website with a fact sheet on the 2018 wine which says it is a blend of Grenache (51%), Clairette (33%) Picpoul (16%) .

The way I read it is that this is a white Rhone blend, to which Picquepul adds the ‘freshness and vitality’ dimension - rather than it being the dominant grape.

But I agree, this is far from clear.

I am not saying it is incorrect, but I am amazed that 16% of any grape can have what seems to be such a profound effect. After all, 15% or less of a grape in an otherwise varietal wine, and the wine could be labelled simply with the name of the main variety.

Agreed! Nevertheless, perhaps in a blend such as this, with two other grapes noted for their low acidity - the high acidity of old ‘lip smacker’ is more pronounced?

I missed this thread earlier, but unless the most recent vintage blend has changed, I would say that Picpoul is indeed the dominant grape. To my palate Picpoul blanc has a very persistent and distinctive flavour. Picpoul is nothing like any of the muscat grapes, save only that it shares the property of being able to dominate a blend at fairly low proportions.

I guess all that remains is whether you like it or not. Personally I don’t much care for it, though lots of people do.

All the usual caveats about personal taste etc.

According to Domaine Maby’s website, the 2018 is made from 51% Grenache Blanc, 33% Clairette and 16% Picpoul - so perhaps the blend has changed? Though I do have a faint recollection that the 2017 was along similar lines…? But can’t remember for sure.

Exactly - see my OP. :wink:

My point is that TWS sells via info on its website and list and thus the info should be correct.

This marketing blurb refers to a vintage other than that TWS is selling and mentions only Picpoul whereas there are two other varieties that have much a greater proportion of the blend.

Perhaps the answer is for TWS to give a link the to winery website

I do get your point, but the description isn’t saying it’s a 100% Picpoul wine, simply that

I guess that could have been set in context a bit more, but it really would be misrepresenting the taste just to mention the Grenache blanc, say, as it really isn’t a classic GB wine. Clairette is also a very neutral grape and if blended is almost guaranteed to take a back seat. Or so it seems to me.

Would it have been more helpful to you if they had added “…in this blend”, or words to this effect?

Well, as they were referring to a different vintage it would be of no help at all.

As the blend is given on the website (and when it is not the buyer surely has the info) I want (I was going to say expect but I’m afraid I no longer expect specifics on the TWS website) that information about the wine.

Why not
A white Rhône that never ceases to amaze for its freshness and vitality. The 2018 is a blend of Grenache (51%), Clairette (33%) Picpoul (16%) and is full-flavoured yet crisp and refreshing with it. The secret here is the use of the Picpoul grape, which naturally retains its food-friendly freshness. ?

Yes, that would cover it well I think.