01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Single bottle orders back?

I guess my more extended delivery may be due to the two mixed cases - entirely understandable if social distancing has imposed extra work.

1 Like

Has anyone tried to purchase a gift membership? I’ve tried today and the site went round and round … maybe @laura can clarify if that side of the business is open at the moment ? Thanks :pray:

I’ll be up the A1 like a rat up a drain pipe if this is the case, although imagine it might be necessary to leave a few days longer for orders to be prepared than previously…

2 Likes

Apparently no new memberships:

4 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry about that @Leah! You shouldn’t have had the option at all (as @SPmember helpfully clarified, gift memberships aren’t currently open yet) - can you let me know which pages you were looking at? If we need to update the messaging etc I’ll look into that.

1 Like

I’ll screen shot and pm you.

my biggest gripe on this is tasting notes…“drinking well in the next 2-3 years”…but doesn’t say when they wrote it. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Yes, that often annoys me too. And even “drinking well now” on a vintage from a few years ago. How long has that bottle been sitting around?

1 Like

Got my little order

TWS Exhibition Barbaresco 2015 (consolation for not getting any of the 2016 EP… I’ll probably like 15 more than 16 anyway, being a wibe slut!)
Pinot Gris Kessler 2010, Schlumberger (bit annoyed with self here, as it’s probably too sweet for me)
Cotes de Brouilly Les 7 Vignes 2017, Thivin (wanted to try Thivin for a while)
Furmint 2018, Peter Wetzer

a week earlier than scheduled, with email the day before my… not a problem at the moment of course, as one is always in :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

We did a mixed case wine order from TWS Last weekend and the closest option for delivery was next Thursday (which we selected). However the wine turned up yesterday. FYI for your orders.

1 Like

Yes, it looks my single bottle mixed case order is also going to turn up well before my reserves withdrawal order I placed much earlier.

1 Like

I got an email from TWS that DHL will deliver (single bottle pick and mix case) on Monday. Then I got a text from DHL that they’ll deliver Monday. Then I got another text saying it is on its way. The tracking shows delivery between 10:30 and 14:30 today. Not complaining.

3 Likes

Having separately ordered a case of cava, a pre-mixed case and a self mixed case, in that order, they’ll be turning up in the opposite order, with the self mixed case having turned up already!

Earlier, I posted that I was given a date of 10 June for delivery. Having seen earlier dates quoted by others above, I’ve just remembered that my order included a couple of items that were expected in stock. The date expected of one has changed by a few days since then. Also, two items have gone out of stock, so I hope that mine have been allocated before that.

But I thought it best to mention the above in case people thought that a long wait was going to face everyone.

1 Like

I’m in the exact same situation as you - When I moved some items from my wish list to my basket and placed the order it informed me 4 were out of stock but due in by yesterday which I was fine with. One is now showing as no longer available, the rest all seem to be in stock. I’ll send member services an email if I hear nothing next week.

1 Like

I’ve done my best, trying to expand my wine horizons during this difficult time.
I have concentrated on the less expensive end of the Society’s offerings be it on the Website offerings or the various remainder lists.
It (in my case) starts with the Remainder list or the Website available wines.
Then look if some members have been kind enough to write enthusiastic reviews or the Buyer on the original offer, have left a trail…of breadcrumbs.
Then to go to some of the paid for wine reviewing websites or some of the better Wine Company websites, who give ratings to encourage sales.
This does sharpen your Sherlock(ian) skills! :stuck_out_tongue:
And if you find something that takes your fancy, can you afford it or do you WANT to afford it.
My most recent, horn on a dilemma wine was:
Sorrel Hermitage “Le Greal” 2018 @ the totally eyewatering price of £650 per 6 bottles IB.
First question, could I afford it? I cancelled my Rhone 2018 EP order after a spat with our CEO, so my Rhone budget was still intact.
Was it still available, the answer - Yes.
Quite how good was it.
This was the last vintage that Marc Sorrel would make, before his well deserved retirement.
DrinkRhone gave his 2017 Six Stars, it gets no better. BUT when reviewing the 2018, J L-L speculated that the 2018 was BETTER!
Robert Parker gave the 2018 96-98, the 2017 the same score. It was described as “stupendous!!”
Jeb Dunnuck told me that Marc Sorrel refuses to participate in his tastings.
This is not unknown in wine circles, J L-L is currently prohibited from Jaboulet, because Caroline Frey’s father is “displeased” with him!
Vinous has not reviewed the wine, there the reviewer is currently playing “catch up” after some deservedly adverse comments from subscribers regarding how behind the curve the reviews were. To be fair, no little effort is now being made, but the Virus outbreak has curtailed travel from the USA, so still lots to do there. For example, Coudoulet has not been reviewed since the 2014 vintage!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Back to Sorrel.
Looking at Winesearcher, the across the board IB price is £780. So the Society’s price of £650 is good. :+1:
How much do I want this wine? I have never tasted any Marc Sorrel wine as yet, let alone one as good as this one. I have the best of Chapelle, Faurie and Chave in my cellar, I dislike the Chapoutier style - so that is a no-no, and have plenty of for example Colombier, Miaux, Perrin, La Maison Bleue and the Exhibition Hermitage 2010 in industrial quantities. so the wine must be truly exceptional to cross my line.
So a mixture of reluctance at paying around £130 per bottle delivered, but now the excitement can begin regarding tasting it.
Can I see me paying the same sort of money in the future?
The Bolly 2008 was an unfortunate £95 per bottle, received Vinous wisdom says that this bottle is a legend in the making. if you want it, you must pay up. Cristal 2008, £180 per bottle. 99-100/100 from Antonio Galloni / Jeb Dunnuck, the Bolly 97/99 from Ant/Jeb!!
As Ian Fleming so adroitly put it, “Never Say Never Again”, and for the moment that is my aspirational thought!! :cry: :wink: :grinning:

4 Likes

Have you heard any more out of interest?

I emailed Monday afternoon and have heard nothing back at all, and no update on my order placed 07 May.

I’m a bit surprised memberships have reopened if the response times are still this slow and there’s still a backlog of orders.

1 Like

I’ve ordered to collect from the showroom, and was able to choose any day next week. I chose Thursday. Will report if there are any problems.

No, but I have been tracking the arrival of the outstanding wines on the website. They are all showing as in stock bar one, which is now due in on the 28th May. So I’m not actually concerned, as the due date is still easily do-able if the wine arrives when promised.

I’m on duty, assisting at the collection point (the shutter doors to the left of the main showroom doors), next Thursday. See you then. :blush:

6 Likes