01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Sharing cellars on Cellartracker - WIKI

Actually you could always post in £ and for about six months or so CellarTracker permits posting in several currencies. I probably buy 50:50 UK and France and seeing what I paid in € is useful when it comes to the next purchase.

I feel your pain, mine has become…involved!

Besides general wine info there is storage location, costs, etc etc

In case my wife see this I have blanked out the values :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

For those of you who use Cellartracker, what are your thoughts on the usefulness of the ‘Wine Ready to Drink’ report? As I start to think about what wines I might look to open this Christmas, and for a few special dinners over the next few months, I thought this might help with the choices. Looking at my list, the results are a bit mixed. There are some I agree with completely: 2009 Chateau Caronne Ste Gemme, 2013 Cotes du Rhone Chave Mon Coeur, 2014 Sendiana, 2003 Musar - all of those are likely to be good to go even if another year or two (or ten in the case of the Musar) wouldn’t hurt. Some of the others showing at the top of my list are almost certainly not in their prime: 2011 Ulysse Pauillac, 2017 Chave Selection St Joseph Circa (bought en primeur, not even arrived at TWS warehouse yet), 2016 Clos des Cazaux Vacqueyras Blanc.

Does anyone else use this function?

I think it is only useful if you make sure that all your wines have drinking windows (sensible, that you can actually add/modify yourself) … I noticed that if I synch with my Burghound account the drinking windows for relevant wines become ‘drinking from 20XX’, which the report cannot really handle.

3 Likes

I get the impression that Americans generally prefer to drink younger, and cellartracker is mostly geared to a US audience, so…

If i could be bothered to go through and adjust them all looking at more sources i might use it more, but I’m too lazy :smiley:

2 Likes

You can put your own in based on experience.

Also useful at times to read some of the more recent tasting notes, particularly if they are sensible ones…not like the one I saw recently commenting on the tannins in an Alsace white…

1 Like

I must admit I hadn’t clocked that you could add your own drink by dates. I’ll have a look into that.

I’d definitely agree that the tasting notes are more useful as a guide to when a wine’s ready for drinking. That gets a bit more tricky when you only have a couple of reviews that are odds with each other, but when you’ve got a good number of reviews it can really help. A little subjectivity is clearly required, however… :scream_cat:

Sure you’ve clocked this, but also worth bearing in mind the “ready to drink” algorithm is also based on how many bottles you hold. So a wine with a drinking window up to 2024 of which you have 4 bottles will be more “ready to drink” than a wine with the same drinking window but of which you have 1 or 2 bottles.

4 Likes

That had completely passed me by, but the Chave Circa Blanc appearing at the top my list makes a lot more sense knowing that. Thanks!

1 Like

Spot on @woodap
Also, you might have a case of, say V.2015, of something nice with drink dates of 2020-2030 but realistically you aren’t going to broach that bad boy until at least its 8th-10th birthday. In this instance I find the ‘Drink by’ filter really useful.

2 Likes

I gave up on CellarTracker I’m afraid, I found my own spreadsheet more flexible not to mention editable even when not online. I have a similar algorithm though in that every wine I put in my spreadsheet I put in a drinking window (if I can fine it) and also put in a planned drinking year. This year is, similarly to CT, set earlier the more bottles I have. And with multiple bottles when I take one out I simply modify the planned drinking year accordingly. So long as I stay on top of it it’s easy to manage and easy to glance at and see what wines I am planning to drink in the current year.

I’m by no means slavish about it, of course, and will happily ignore my planned dates whenever it suits me.

One of the other things I like about my own spreadsheet is it means I can, and have, developed my own ‘quality/value’ algorithm. If I’m honest, whilst I absolutely love my cheap bottles of Lascar or Adego de Redondo, I have to honestly say they are not as good as say a 15-year-old top Margaux. However if I score the Margaux 95 and Lascar 75 is seems like I’m dissing the Lascar which is just not fair. So my algorithm might award a higher Q/V mark to a 75 point £6 wine than to an 85 point £40 wine. And that Q/V score is what decides me on re-ordering a wine!

Works for me but then I am a software geek by trade!.

7 Likes

Mmmm, Q/V algorithm worked into a spreadsheet sounds very exciting, though far beyond my meagre skills. I just have a “purchase again” column with NO, MAYBE (which is almost certainly NO), YES or YES

2 Likes

Nothing really that clever and all very qualitative and subjective. I put a basic formula in which didn’t really manage to match my gut feel and then tinkered with the numbers until I got a result that fairly closely matched that gut feel for the wines I’d already had. My upper price limit is normally around £40 with occasional forays higher and my average is somewhat under £20. I suspect that if I applied it to any very expensive wines it would spit them out as very poor value. but it works for my stuff so long as I’m honest with my scores and don’t do stuff like it’s a 95 for such a cheap wine which destroys the whole idea. So have to be brutally honest which is fair enough!

1 Like

Have added all my wines to Cellartracker - looks quite useful and had just been running a spreadsheet before.

4 Likes

Adding my user name too, it’s good to see a lot of Uk users of CT here, it’s invaluable for me with wine stored with a number of merchants and tracking those pending deliveries

3 Likes

I have also added mine (Zoekerdutch). I don’t fancy adding all as friends as a default, but I will respond positively to any friend requests from members of TWS community. I have currently around 1,200 bottles in there, and aim to add another 500 or so which will have made my cellar full. I am certainly interested in further discussions and ideas about what people feel is the ideal cellar for them. My aim is to have a decade of wine drinking stock in there and keep that so whilst drinking those wines that are ready. I typically go for bottles in the £15-35 range but some up to £50-60. I do not want to spend more than that on a bottle as I don’t think higher prices are necessarily better value for money, actually most likely not. Obviously that is a very personal opinion.

5 Likes

I believe you should treat yourself once in a while to something more expensive. I’m not sure what value for money means in the context of decent wine. Just buy a Montrachet or a Tignanello or whatever. Gloat over it for a few years and then enjoy. Who cares or, indeed, knows if its value for money.

4 Likes

I may not need much to convince me… Just the occasional bottle…

To all you CellarTrackers…does it cost anything to load your inventory and keep using the platform?

Payment is effectively voluntary. There are a few added benefits from paying to free membership, but not loads. So you can choose to pay or not. I choose to, partly because without subscriptions, the site would be unviable. And I like it.

2 Likes