Welcome to your monthly roundup of events, top latest discussions and highlights to help you keep up with all the brilliant things you Community guys are doing.
Need a hand using the Community? Try the How To Guides.
There’s two brilliant events for you to take part in this month:
This one already looks like it’ll be popular:
A chance to try a young and mature new world cabernet sauvignon, and support some of our most loved growers! Both wines also feature in a six-bottle mixed case (to make ordering even easier) which is being released on Monday - we’ll update with a link to it then:
- The Rest of the Year - what, if any (!), wines are you planning to stock up over the rest of the year? Some excellent chat about upcoming offers and good buys here! (Thanks @Taffy-on-Tour)
- Tour de France chat - one for the cycling fans (of which there seems to be many here!) Thanks @Grimpeur for starting this chat.
- Decanter Awards - the recent shortlist announcement has prompted some interesting discussion around wine awards in general and a great tip on where to read Decanter for free! (Thanks @MrNXM)
- En Primeur chat- with the flurry of new offers, now would be a great time to join our private En Primeur discussion board if you haven’t already. (Click HERE to join - click ‘Join’ in the top right - and then click HERE to view the latest topics). Some truly brilliant intel bein shared there about the wines/vintages on offer from your knowledegable fellow members!
- COVID - what will change next? Despite the slightly grave sounding title, this has been a fascinating discussion about the future of wine, for instance buying direct from the growers, buying local etc. (Thanks, @Robin63!)
Every month, the Community bots pick two top users from our newcomers to award the New User of the Month badge.
Normally we award them retrospectively, but this month I’m starting this topic a little later than usual, so we can crown both August AND September’s winners!
Here’s August’s winners:
Congratulations to @Tomfitz (who has given some fantastic recommendations in our regular Weekday/Weekend drinking topics (this Rioja-like montepulciano was particularly popular!) and @Piersman who joined us for the Portugal #twstaste!
And September’s brand new winners:
Congratulations @TinVin, whose amusing tale of minor disaster proved very popular in a recent Weekend Drinking topic and @CCouzens, who gave a brilliant recommendation in our Favourite Small Producers chat!
I can’t stress enough how joyous it is to read through the regular Midweek drinking/Weekend drinking topics - they’re literally packed with hundreds of gorgeous tasting notes, recommendations and handy info from your fellow members.
Two stood out this month, one for good reasons, and one not so much!
This from @HBlackburn features a wonderful wine picked at random from a wine shop, which turned out to be pretty special by the sounds of it:
And then there’s @JayKay’s very funny account of a less-than-appealing encounter with a bottle of merlot :
A big congratulations to @tom for his new baby! A lovely photo and some celebratory bubbles were in order:
Also, we hit a bit of a milestone this week - our 1000th post on the ever-popular Rhone Rangers topic! Here’s to the next 1000…