01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Sensational Shiraz

All good suggestions - I’m definitely going to get a bottle of the Mac Forbes to try - Intrigued by the idea of a light Shiraz. Might dip my toe in the Thalabert waters…

2 Likes

On the Mac Forbes - if you like a “challenging” wine then you may enjoy it. Not for me though.

2 Likes

Oooh, how so?

2 Likes

Great suggestions
I would also add

And if we can please get some more Jamsheed wines back in such as this I feel this would be exactly the thing you are looking for @lapin_rouge

Edit: @laura @Kelly - while I’m here, would you mind asking Freddy if there is any Jamsheed or slightly off the beaten track Aussie producers on the horizon?

5 Likes

Sweet/sour acidity, feral, overly bitter and drying tannins that are unbalanced.
But I could see some people really liking that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Wow! Do you think it would come round given time?

1 Like

Maybe but I wouldn’t be inclined to dedicate storage costs or rack space to find out.

1 Like

I think he’s on hols this week but I’ll drop him a line for when he gets back! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello! Here’s a reply from the man himsel, @Freddy!

There are a load of new Aussie producers coming into the range in September. We have a big Australia feature in the Autumn 1874 and I have listed loads of new stuff for it. It’s worth keeping your eye out for that :blush:

Before then though, you can also look out for a winery called Whistler. We have a Shiraz and Grenache from them which will be in the May Mini List. They are super fun and modern.

Hope this is useful - certainly looks like loads to look forward to! :smiley:

9 Likes

A very unappealing description.

Oh I don’t know there’s a few modern Australian wines I’ve enjoyed. Jamsheed and Thistledown come to mind. Let’s hope it’s not relabellled Yellowtail!

Btw enjoyed your blog. Have some Marfee coming today.

3 Likes

Cullen is pretty modern and fun :slight_smile:

Anything Aussie going to be pretty modern to be fair - it’s a young country.

1 Like

Ah yes, but it does have some of the oldest producing vines on the planet, wonderful material to work with.

1 Like

Although some of the vines are a lot older than expected. Some wineries in the Barossa are still producing wine from vines planted in the 1850s.

New additions as mentioned previously

5 Likes

They both sound lovely, Super fun and modern!

3 Likes

Yeah and pricing seems decent too as I believe these are c. $35-40 RRP in Oz

3 Likes

Great to see a mid weight Aussie Shiraz and the Grenache sounds delicious. A real positive that they’re both 6 bottle cases in terms of reserves capability. Cheers @Freddy for adding these to the line

4 Likes