01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Sending wines to Ireland

I want to send six bottles of wine to a friend in Galway, Ireland - but struggling to find a courier who will send wine (most don’t it seems) and at a reasonable rate (the wines are not particularly valuable).

Can anyone advise if there is a way to do this?

TWS might be able to do this if the wines originate with them…?

3 Likes

Thanks, I should have said, the wines do originate from TWS but are currently at my home. [EDIT: also I note TWS only send unmixed cases to Ireland, I was hoping to send a mixed case].

I think your only way around this is to send 2 separate packages of 3 wines and not declare they are wine . Risky and not covered for loss but would work if properly packaged .
Alternatively, try parcel motel , they are NI based and drive the contents across the border . A lot of Amazon shopping comes into the republic via this route .

Edit: if I was driving over this Christmas I would have taken it for you .

1 Like

Thanks Leah for that advice, I’ll look into those options - it is sounding trickier than I envisaged! Are you suggesting 2 separate packs rather than one because they are eaiser to pack?

Have you looked at The Post Office Parcel Force?

They will send wine to Ireland and it seems for a reasonable price

Alcoholic beverages and liquids containing less than 24% alcohol by volume (ABV) (including beer, lager, wine and champagne)

• UK & International - Allowed in the mail, with restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
  • Volume should not exceed 1 litre per item.
  • Wrap in polythene and seal with tape.
  • Surround with absorbent material such as newspaper and sufficient cushioning material to protect each item from breakage.
  • Mark as ‘FRAGILE’ when sending glass bottles.
  • The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
    Additional general advice : Place in a suitable rigid outer container.
1 Like

Thank you Peter… Funnily enough Parcel Force didn’t cross my mind. That may well be a good solution. I just need to work out if the instruction “Volume should not exceed 1 litre per item” means only 1 litre per parcel or just that any bottles can’t be bigger than 1 litre (I think and hope it’s the latter). I pass a post office every morning so I will pop in and ask them.
Thanks again.

2 Likes