01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Seeking recommendations - Beziers, Carcassone

france

I’m heading off for my first visit to Minerve in The Languedoc in a few days staying between Beziers and Carcassone. If any fellow members have visited any particularly good producers or have insider tips would be grateful for any pearls!

This thread might be of interest

This blog should give you some ideas. She has also had a book on the Languedoc published recently.

Ch. Camplazens is between Beziers and Carcassonne:

http://www.camplazens.com/

TWS used to stock them, I like their wines. Not visited though but have met them and they are lovely.

Non-wine related, although there are vineyards around, is a recommendation to visit Pezenas, it’s a beautiful little town. It’s also worth visiting on shrove Tuesday but I won’t tell you why :wink:

Thank you very much

Umpteen years ago a friend and I stayed overnight in Minerve at the Relais Chantovent. We asked the waiter to recommend a local vin rouge and he recommended Ch. gourgazaud which turned out to be fabulous and with a fantastic bouquet. We were on a ‘wine tour’ of our own and the waiter noticed our interest and offered to soak the label from the now empty bottle. The next day we visited said chateau and showed the owner the label who then exclaimed that he had none of that vlintage left as he had sold 24000 bottles ( or was it cases?) to Sainsbury’s! However he invited us into his caves and we tasted a more recent vintage. It turned out that the owner, whose name now escapes me, had retired as finance director of Chantovent wines (see the connection with the relais?) bought the chateau, scrubbed up the tired vines and replanted with bordelais vines to produce a superior wine which had to be sold as a vin de pays because it did not fulfil the rules of the minerve appellation. Both relais and chateau are still going concerns and have glowing reports on Tripadvisor (is that a recommendation?)

While in the area you must also visit St Jean de Minervois where the sweet vin Doux natural Muscat de St Jean de Minervois is produced. There is a tasting room in the village centre.

Loads of other interesting wines around the area including Faugeres, Fitou, corbieres, St Chinian etc. We have always found it useful and worthwhile to get a copy of the latest edition of the Hachette Guide des Vins which reviews EVERY wine produced in France. Look out for those described as being particularly good for the price .

Happy wine touring!