01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Sausage wine

The Times today carries an obituary of Tony Mason, who built up Majestic.
Apparently his highest accolade was that a wine would go well with sausages.

So then…?

4 Likes

I am a big fan of sausages (see toad-in-the-hole thread and recently posted sausage with white bean recipe!). Something from Northern Spain or Southern France with plenty of Garnacha in is my usual go to (and unlike with the thread on greens recently, not just because it’s my usual go to!). Garnacha heavy Rioja/Navarra/Valencian wines and things from around Madrid, Cote du Rhones and GSMy wine’s from the South west of France.

Bobal is also a great sausage wine. That Bin series with Bobal in would be excellent with sausages. A more left field suggestion is unoaked Chardonnay, which both stands up to the flavour and cuts through the fat a bit, like a more grown-up apple sauce.

9 Likes

Well, he would have been pretty spoiled for choice.

Of course, you should bear in mind the sausage, how you cook it and what you’re eating it with, but the possibilities are endless. For me, sausages are the perfect “drink what you enjoy” type of food. You just need a bit of fruit, acidity and body, whether red, white or rose (and of course, good quality sausages).

9 Likes

Like @strawpig I’m a fan of grenache with sausages. In particular, I recently found the Exhibition Gigondas a very good match for a rustic (read: v basic) sausage and lentils dish (in this case, they were thick, meaty Italian fennel sausages).

5 Likes

I think sausages are the pinnacle of food evolution. Kékfrankos (ok, Blaufrankisch) from a cooler spot is great with meaty, moderately spiced ones.

10 Likes

Yep, couldn’t agree more. Yet another reason why sausages are great.

I do particularly like a rich, fruity Southern French red with them, though, given unlimited choice.

3 Likes

As much as I may get run out of town, this is more important than the wine.

8 Likes

A left field choice perhaps but the orchard fruit flavours in riesling chime well with a good quality pork sausage too.

6 Likes

Oh for sure, particularly if there is anything pickled on the plate (or in Mrs B’s case, brown sauce). Chenin can also be a lovely match.

5 Likes

A fizzy one, made with hops and barley :wink: :beer: Or failing that, this…

8 Likes

Don’t give me ideas ! A sausage sandwich dripping with butter and brown sauce is one of my weekend treats. I often drink riesling on fish Friday. I might just have to save a glass to go with Saturday morning’s sarnie now :smile:

6 Likes

Presumably by ‘Sausage’ you mean a good old English ‘banger’.

Otherwise there are so many sausages from around the world, this thread could turn into a who’s who of sausage wines. Boudin Blanc anyone?

2 Likes

Yes, I suspect he meant ‘bangers’! But it’s still interesting to hear some of the combinations that people like.

Weisswurst and most German sausages would require beer, though. Especially at breakfast.

2 Likes

Apparently it’s all about Sauternes

2 Likes

I’m going to nominate Barbera as a top sausage wine.

Also fond memories of staying a gite in the Lot and consuming plenty of BBQ sausages with local wine (i.e. Cahors Malbec).

2 Likes

In lockdown we’ve actually invested in a mincer in order to do our own sausages, however the one thing that remains the same is fat, seasoning and salt. I like the suggestions of a good grenache above, a nice sour sangiovese or something gutsy and southern french.

Highly recommend it - £50 will get you a good machine and then just the skins which are available pretty widely. Our venison, pork belly, garlic and bay sausages were lovely in the slow cooker with beans and crisp bacon and some sourdough

8 Likes

This is fascinating, thanks !

Edit - canned sardines also recommended !!!

A plate of quality, local butcher bought pork sausages, with creamy mashed potato and a homemade onion gravy is a joy to behold. This is a great British family dish that is a huge favourite, I am salivating as I write. I would pair it with any quality CdR (I would say that :rofl: :blush:) or even a modest Bordeaux, making sure that the wine did not outshine the food. So often I think that the wine for a meal becomes the focal point, rather than being complimentary which is a shame. :+1: :dragon:

5 Likes

I’m desperate to do the sweet and sausage.

…not so much the tinned fish :joy:

1 Like

Bill is a wonderful communicator and the presentation eye opening. I can’t wait to pull a mixed case of 2011 halves from reserves now !

1 Like