01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Sausage Cassoulet by OnlyAWino

recipe

Sausage cassoulet … for 2 very hungry people … over two days … ( have you ever tried cold cassoulet on a large wholemeal barm cake ?)

Ingredients…

• Four very thick Cumberland sausages
  • 1 medium onion thinly sliced
  • 1 small leek sliced (include all but the darkest green top)
  • Try a snifter of red (I used Grignan)
  • 2 medium carrots thinly sliced in rounds
  • 1 tin of cooked drained chickpeas
  • 1 tin of cooked drained butter beans
  • 1 handful black olives, 1 handful green olives…
  • (I buy stoned olives in brine, wash them and top up with British rapeseed oil and whichever dried herbs take your fancy)
  • 2 small anchovy fillets
  • Small s/market pack of smoked bacon lardons
  • Cajun seasoning or whatever you want to coat sausages with
  • Goose or duck fat to fry meat and veg
  • In my mind there is enough chilli in the Cajun seasoning , but I favour some smoked paprika, thyme and rosemary…but each to their own regarding herbs dried or fresh !.
  • Try some Fitou Origenes…
  • 1 glass of red wine (say 200 mils)
  • About same amount passata (Aldi do one with added garlic)

Start a glass of Minervois or Corbieres… sit down and savour the Reds before the Method.

Method…

1. Roll the sausage in Cajun seasoning and gently fry in the goose/ duck fat. When medium brown remove the sausages, putting them in your chosen cooking pot. Mine is a brown earthenware casserole dish with a lid.
  2. Add some more fat if required, and brown the lardons then add them to the pot.
  3. Fry the veg and when softened add to the pot. Add your chosen wine to the pan and deglaze, adding to the pot.
  4. Anchovy, herbs, olives , passata, beans chickpeas… bring to boil then cover ingredients in casserole… at this stage add more stock, wine or passata if the solids are not covered.
  5. 2.5 hours @ fan 150. A lovely finish to the dish, remove lid and cover the top of the casserole with plenty of small home made croutons. Cut wholemeal crusts into small dice and enrich with rapeseed oil and dried herbs…increase to 180 fan to crisp croutons…at this stage make your final wine decision by hoovering up any part glasses of red that come to hand…

If it looks as if I’ve missed something out, message me and I’ll look into the matter for you.

St Eulalie Minervois is my favourite match !

Recipes for wine lovers - WIKI
How to ... Start a topic

We have some good sausages in the freezer from a decent butcher, never thought of rolling sausages in spices etc before frying them off :smiley:

This is such a lovely recipe! Thanks for sharing :smile::+1:
I shall give it a go next time I’ve got a bottle of Madiran open… which will be quite soon, if this weather doesn’t improve :roll_eyes:

Thanks so much for sharing this! :relaxed: I love the look of the mix of spices and flavours in this recipe - might try this the next time we have friends over so we can chat while it cooks - and it’s another excuse to buy some lovely Sainte Eulalie…