01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Rudi Kurniawan

So, it turns out Rudi Kurniawan aka “Dr. Conti” is set to be released from prison on July 11th after serving 6.5 years of his 10 year sentence for wine fraud.
I imagine he will be instantly deported but will he sell his story first? And to whom??
This is going to be interesting for sure and I wonder will he just disappear or capitalise on his experience and sell out stadiums willing to hear “his story”…!

2 Likes

I’d love to see a Sour Grapes II with his side of what he did.

3 Likes

Looking for “tips”? :rofl:

1 Like

If I can make an aged DRC at a fraction of the cost? Damn right I am!

2 Likes

It might depend on for who and how much he went to prison. It seems unlikely he was acting entirely independently.

1 Like

I’d tend to go along with @Brocklehurstj - it seems there is a web of other (probably wealthy, certainly criminal) people involved. If he does release ‘his side’ of he story, I’ll be taking it with a pinch of salt, as too many other people have too much to lose if it really was the truth.

Hmm…Interesting, then why wouldn’t he “out” anyone he was working with at the time of prosecution etc…? If this is the case, it will more than likely be his uncles were have also been incarcerated for “other” fraud in Indonesia.
If it were me, I would have done a little more research before releasing vintages which had never been produced in the first place.

3 Likes

Note to self: don’t buy wine from @leah!

8 Likes

… when you can make create it yourself!

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rofl:

9 Likes

Almost certainly he had some assistance from that direction, who he may have protected if they were part of his family. However, there might also be people in the US, who were extremely happy to sell his wines without question, to great financial benefit. In which case, there may have been a bit of carrot and stick directed towards him to take his sentence quietly and easily for future gain (whether that’s cash or continued use of his legs, we will never know).

Yeah, he was obviously so cocky by this point, he didn’t even bother to check. Foolish, the airs of suspicion around him solidified once that occurred.

2 Likes

Like Aker, Merrill and condit… They were on dodgy ground.

1 Like

Did anyone see the episode of Northern Exposure where Shelley accidently breaks a bottle of aged French wine worth several thousand dollars shipped in for their special annual dinner. So the wife of one of the two self-proclaimed wine experts got the tasting notes for that vintage, filled a bottle with cheap wine and then, based on those notes, proceeded to add a pinch of pepper, some earth and various other bits that I can’t quite remember. And is then served up to those wine experts to their great admiration with comments like “Ah taste the pepper and earthiness…” Hilarious! :rofl:

4 Likes

There is also a fantastic episode of Black Books, where mistakenly Bernard and Manny, house sitting for a friend, drink all the ‘cheap and dusty wine’ and leave the ‘clean and expensive wine’ with stickers from Londis on the bottles. Oh, dear.

Bernard has to improvise and re-create a £7K wine.

Black Books is perfect, and does not at all remind me of myself when younger. Nope.

4 Likes

It seems that his release date (11/07) should be read in American date format, which would mean he is in until the 7th of November.

2 Likes

Oh well still this year then !

remember this is a public forum that can be searched on the ‘big brother is watching’ (www) … be careful what you say that may be taken by others (like those mentioned) as libellous

1 Like

the best episode of comedy ever…in my opinion - loved the whole series

Well, they were sued successfully by Bill Koch :tipping_hand_woman::tipping_hand_woman:… just saying …!

In the US there is what is known as “Son of Sam’s law.” Basically, if you sell your story any profits go to the victims; it does act as a deterrent generally. It has been open to attack on the basis that critics allege it prevents free speech. In reality it does not prevent you selling a story, you just won’t make any profit. I am not sure that it extends to all states.

1 Like