01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Rousseau's 2017s

In the meantime you can knock yourselves out with the ‘much anticipated’ 2017s of Domaine Armand Rousseau…:wink:

Domaine Armand Rousseau, Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Lavaux Saint-Jacques 2017

A fresh yet ripe wine from the cool Combe de Lavaux valley. The 2017 has pretty red-cherry aromas and a long, fine palate. Drink from 2025 to 2035.

£175 per bottle
DY-BU72861

Domaine Armand Rousseau, Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Cazetiers 2017

Also from the Combe de Lavaux, but if the Lavaux Saint-Jacques wine is silky, then this is more velvety on the palate as the vineyard turns a smidgeon to a more southerly exposition. Drink from 2027 to 2037.

£175 per bottle
DY-BU72871

Domaine Armand Rousseau, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 2017

A very appealing and generous wine, as the name ‘Charmes’ suggests. The 2017’s sweet and succulent palate, ripe tannins and red-fruit profile make it a very enticing wine. Drink from 2027 to 2037.

£220 per bottle
DY-BU72901

Domaine Armand Rousseau, Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Clos Saint-Jacques 2017

Flanked by Lavaux and Cazetiers, Clos Saint-Jacques rises above them both in quality. There are only five producers here. Unusually, each has rows which run from the bottom to the top of the vineyard slope giving an overall perfect balance of clay and limestone soils and excellent drainage. The intense and perfumed 2017 is effortlessly graceful with everything so well balanced that no one element dominates. Drink from 2028 to 2038.

£525 per bottle
DY-BU72881

Domaine Armand Rousseau, Chambertin Clos de Bèze Grand Cru 2017

Sitting on a small hump, Rousseau’s Clos de Bèze vineyard is always more ‘solaire’, intercepting more sun, says Eric Rousseau, relative to their Chambertin holding. Consequently the wine is a touch sweeter and rounder than Le Chambertin but has good grip beneath the fruit. The 2017 has lovely cherry-kernel aromas. Drink from 2030 to 2042.

£1,200 per bottle
DY-BU72891

Domaine Armand Rousseau, Chambertin Grand Cru 2017

Following the signature of the vintage, this has a near-perfect balance of all elements, so there is great harmony and symmetry with no one aspect dominating. Wonderful intensity of aroma and flavour. Drink from 2030 to 2042.

£1,200 per bottle
DY-BU72851

4 Likes

£1200 just to get a ‘near-perfect’ balance? Now, if it was a perfect balance… :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Just asking for a “friend” are these wine society prices and notes ? And did they come on a specific email ? If so for about 5 month’s I haven’t had a single email from the WS, off to call member services.

yes and yes

you need to call or email member services to request these wines

Thanks, helpful

Just curious why that would be the case? Why are these not on the website?

I can see why TWS would want to send emails to a more focused group of members likely to buy these rather than spamming the whole membership, but surely restricting to only those “in the know” is not quite in the TWS ethos?

2 Likes

Searching for this takes you to the society’s white burgundy :smiley:

2 Likes

I seem to remember they published the 2015s on the website, and they received a request from the domaine not to openly publish the release prices - I can’t recall if any reason was given as to why…

1 Like

Because they are a bit embarrassed about charging £1200 for a bottle of fermented grape juice?

3 Likes

Absolutely not.
The Society will be making a good margin on these Rousseau wines as they do on the Guigal LaLa’s, which ends up in our coffers!! :+1: :grinning: :dragon:

According to Vinous the Laveau Saint Jacques was rated 91 -93 for £175 per bottle!!! :laughing: :crazy_face: :dragon:

2 Likes

You could buy a bottle of Chapelle Hermitage 2012 (97pts or 95 pts) for £140 and near enough a bottle of the Belle Hermitage 2013 (92pts) for that money.
If members wish to spend that sort of money, let them - I say!! :rofl: :astonished: :dragon:

1 Like

At which point maybe the appropriate response from TWS should be… “in that case thanks, but no thanks” ?

This can’t be such an important piece of business that TWS allows a domaine to dictate the terms on which it sells its wines into the UK market. I’m sure there are members very keen to acquire them, but on a turnover/volume basis this is surely small fry?

Perhaps I’m just being naive, but there are plenty more Burgundian fish in the sea.

2 Likes

I am sure that the Society will be fortunate to be allocated one case each of the best Rousseau wines. On Vinous, there are “collectors” and drinkers who would queue around the corner to get any of these wines. :dragon:

1 Like

I’m afraid at the top end of the burgundy market such dictation of terms is all too common. I’m quite relaxed about this, as others have said the margin the Society makes will simply flow into the coffers.

3 Likes

I agree that the allocation is likely very small - the email states there is a limit to the request of maximum one bottle of each wine, and then that request will go through an EP-style allocation process

1 Like

Missing a decimal point somewhere in that price? Crazy.

1 Like

The email also states that all the wines are limited to a single bottle per member.

Rousseau asked us not to sell on the website. Their wines are being sold and resold at vey high prices. If you are interested in these wines please ask member services to add you to the mailing list for this offer.

5 Likes