01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Rosé season

Wow! Is this their answer to a Tavel do you think? Sounds a bit like me as well. Thanks for flagging. Onto the expanding Wishlist.

1 Like

@Leah @HBlackburn

To my shame, I used to be sniffy regarding Rose wines.
Then I tasted an Aussie from:

Charles Melton “Rose of Virginia”

It was lurid pink, tasted good by itself or with food.
Latterly, these two:

And eventually, I became a convert.
To my untutored “rose” palate, these two are highly recommendable. :dragon:

4 Likes

Both those are wonderful IMO, Taffy, especially the Pataille as a special occasional treat. I’ve got one left in the wine fridge, which I’m planning to sit on a while to see where it goes.

I personally also really rate the cheap & cheerful Umanu Rosé, Ile de Beauté, Vignerons Corsicans - a whole lot of lovely wine for the money IMO.

4 Likes

Drank the Tavel Mabey (2020) over three evenings - it packs a punch @ 14% - unmistakeable more-ish grenache notes, & I would certainly recommend providing it’s well chilled & you have separate iced water on hand for quenching your thirst.

5 Likes

It looks that way, and has a long drinking window to come - I’d normally want to try a bottle before splurging, but I wonder if this could be one of those ones that suddenly disappears, never to be seen again. I figure 12 of these for drinking over the next 5-6 years should a nice treat make.

1 Like

I was fortunate enough to get my mitts on a Tavel Libiamo Domaine Maby 2017 from the odds & sods in the fine wine room on a quick visit to the showroom last month - a very interesting one to drink and very nice too, albeit quite heavy & with a curious caramelly taste to it. I do love a rich rose though, so worked perfectly for me.

The Sylvain Pataille is very good as are these:
Rose de Xinomavro Thymiopolous 2019 - (thewinesociety.com)
Kedros Liatiko Rosé, Lyrarakis 2020 - Bestsellers - Popular - Offers - The Wine Society

I’m on the fence with the Maby, some vintages I’ve had are well integrated whilst others seem to be overtly alcoholic which in turn over shadows the wine completely.

8 Likes

Yup, I’m a big fan of both of those ones too and have a case of the Thymiopolous 2019s sat in reserves to get some age on them, and a few here at home to check in on over the next few years. They should really develop well IMO. Xinomavro can make for some astonishing Rosés.

The Liatiko is very nice too, but more of a [delicious!] BBQ quaffer for me. I always make sure to have a few of them to hand in our wine fridge. Ditto the Liatiko red - a delicious chilled red wine for a BBQ that one too. Even with BBQd fish.

I’ve always loved Rosés and have never quite understood the slight disdain in which they can be held by some folk, I must confess.

6 Likes

Welcome to the club @Taffy-on-Tour, you’ve unlocked a new level of wine appreciation :wink:

Last night I was drinking a simple Provence rose, delicious…

6 Likes

and the 2007 of the same was something from another planet a few months ago

4 Likes

That’s good to know, I’ve got three sitting in reserves :heart_eyes:

Hey, familiar with the producer having enjoyed their Banyuls before. Obviously linking two different wine types could be a folly on my part but I have high hopes for it (it is in my next delivery).

1 Like

I still have a bottle that I’ve not cracked open yet , looking forward to it whenever Mr. Leah gets back :star_struck:!

1 Like

Pretty much my opinion as well. 14% combined with a heatwave !

1 Like

Just added these to an order for delivery on Saturday.

With some of these:

A good days work!! :rofl: :wink: :dragon:

3 Likes

I definitely need some of that Lyrarakis Liatiko Rosé. I’m not sure why I didn’t buy any when I put in my greek order, but I’ve been working through Lyrarakis wines from both TWS and elsewhere and every single one has been a cracker!

2 Likes

If the weather holds out I’m opening my first of 3 on Saturday! Can’t wait to try it

1 Like

Domaine de Triennes, Rosé, 2020 – The Sourcing Table

Just in case anyone is looking for some Triennes, this appears to be back in stock… :wink:
You’re welcome.

4 Likes