01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Rosé season

Rose is the most divisive of wines I think. Personally, I feel they are always better when drunk with a grilled sardine lunch in France. Never equalled. But once you set foot in home with the same wine as holiday bring-backs, awful!!

6 Likes

How much is delivery from L&W?

1 Like

£15 (or £10 for collection from Majestic) I think, free if you are cellar circle

1 Like

I think this may be true for a lot of wine experiences, though, regardless of the wine’s colour?

One of my loveliest wine experiences was drinking Vermentino di Gallura in Sardinia, on the little archipelago of La Maddalena, watching the sun going down with not a care in the world (other than watching the bottle emptying too quickly!).

It’s undoubtedly not quite the same experience as drinking it whilst wathching the sunset over Brighton beach - which I can see from my hilly garden - but to expect that would be a bit silly of me, so I enjoy it for what it is.

5 Likes

Isn’t it also true that drinking a wine you enjoyed somewhere gorgeous can to some extent take you back there, thanks to the strong link between smell/taste and memory?

5 Likes

And it’s organically grown! :wink:

1 Like

I see that it is EP. When would it arrive?

Good question, not sure, but last time I bought some it arrived before the hot weather.

I solved this by enlisting the help of some thirsty friends

1 Like

I think that rosé suffers from being seen as something with intrinsic qualities, which it doesn’t - not even it’s colour. It can be reassuringly forgettable and thirst quenching, like the bardolino Lidl currently have and which I would recommend for the money, serious and thought provoking (Musar or Tondonia) and luxuriantly perfumed and sensuous in the case of Pataille’s.
There are some truly hideous blush wines made on industrial scales, which need not be named, and these do undermine the reputation of the better examples. But it is almost uniquely appropriate in the sun, with a whiff of smoke in the air and sand between your toes while something cooks on the barbecue

2 Likes

The tws own label Corsican rose was superb last year - considerably better than many other roses with domaine labels. This year’s will apparently be available in a month or so. For a non exhibition wine it wasn’t cheap but worth every penny.

3 Likes

Corsican roses are up there as one of my favourite things - the Society’s own one is always excellent, while the Umanu Rose Ile de Beaute Vignerons Corsicans is one of my absolute go-to wines; amazing VfM in my book and for my tastes :~}

1 Like

I enjoyed hearing Marcel on Instagram talking about the new Exhibition Cotes de Provence rose.

He seemed particularly impressed with the winemaker, Alexandre (I didn’t catch the surname), who he said had been there for a few years now. The website entry though refers to the winemaker as being Veronique Dufeutrelle. I assume (?) that’s a historical website entry for the estate that needs updating. Perhaps @laura could alert the team to the discrepancy.

5 Likes

Tomorrow - Sunday - promises to be fine (Yorkshire = not raining), AND I have a bottle in the beer fridge, AND have some leftover roast beef to eat cold. The planets are aligned. Will report back.

For what its worth, in my opinion Rosé more than any other wine is all about context sun, light food, happy ambience - get that wrong and it doesn’t work. Compare to Champagne which works pretty much anytime from breakfast to night-cap, day or night.

4 Likes

We had a magnum of this, in the garden, with extended family, and salade nicoise yesterday. Hard to beat that combo.

And my homemade treacle tart and clotted cream for afters.

Jim

5 Likes

I wasn’t overly impressed, although the bottle might have been too cold. Will have another taste this evening.

Got 6 of these on back order, keep getting pushed back :frowning:

1 Like

Excellent catch, thank you! I’ve asked for more info to be added to the grower profile as he sounds like a very talented man!

2 Likes

One of the few Provence Rosés I’ve had that has been worth the money for me! Hope it turns up soon…

1 Like

Anyone familiar with this one? Loving a good rich rose as I do, it looks right up my street:

6 Likes