01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Rosé season

Email today declared the ‘start’ of the rosé season. Which seems odd given it’s almost August. Is it just that shipments are delayed due to covid or does TWS forget the sun shines in May and June also??

1 Like

Wine merchants in general always have quite a few bin ended rosés by September, perhaps some of them need shifting.

People don’t seem to realise that pink wine can be drunk all year round (I’m just as guilty as anyone here!).

2 Likes

Bought my summer rose back in May. Mostly drunk it on not that hot days due to a distinct lack of Summer for more than the odd day here and there.

Rose wine, only one question…why?

Because…

2 Likes

Oh! I see!..I think?

Surely you meant ‘why not’?.. :grinning:

Joy in a glass. Combining the freshness of white with a dash of red tannins. Food friendly. Versatile. Tavel… I could go on!

6 Likes

I’m with @Inbar sitting on Primrose Hill in the sun with a glass (or bottle) of nice rosé is one of my favourite things. As is drinking it every day with lunch when in the south of France…

I don’t know why people are so sniffy of rose, like most wine, there are good a bad bottles, but vfm is usually pretty excellent.

8 Likes

I’m with @Inbar and @HBlackburn! Rosé is awesome, so many different styles, so many different grapes and so many well made examples . “Why not” indeed :yum:

6 Likes

I thought we were about halfway through red season? Not sure when Rose season is supposed to begin?

I cannot see the point of it and don’t get me started on the prices of Provencal rose, much of which is dreadful! Rose, a wine for those who can’t make their mind up (Quote: Mrs AnaGram,) so don’t ban me again please.

It’s a non-binary world these days. Think Pink. :rainbow:

9 Likes

How many times have you been banned?

4 Likes

Rosé season starts on the first sunny day that is warm enough that you can just about bear to finish the bottle outside. This year that wasn’t too far off the start of lockdown :joy: but some years in the country it might just be underway now :joy::rofl:

7 Likes

Then I’m happy to flip flop like there’s no tomorrow :+1: :smile:

4 Likes

I usually try and source a sale case of 6 bottles at the end of summer and leave it for the following spring when the first hint of warmth arrives and an outdoor drink possibly a quick bbq. This at a time when the retailers shelves have limited offering.

Might have to do 12 this year so we’re Brexit ready​:thinking::cry:

3 Likes

I like AnaGram’s question. It’s a good one, I think.

I myself asked the same thing: why bother with rose? And like him, I feel the same way about over-priced roses.

Though the things that really bug me most are a mild sense of stupidity about not knowing where the acute accent sign is on my keyboard, and the irritation that it’s put in clear glass bottles when it, of all wines, would best be put in a very dark brown or green ones - as people drink it outdoors perhaps more than for any other type of wine.

But to answer the question, here are three thoughts:

a) It can be a good food matching wine, especially at the lower price range. Take something like some grilled fish and a little ratatouille. Red won’t work. White… might. But a good rose can be an excellent - perhaps the best - match.

b) Again, at the lower price point in France (if you’re buying wine by the glass, carafe or jug) it can be better than the white or red, and more versatile with a starter/main course combo. At my favourite little, local restaurant in Ardeche, the rose from a nearby cooperative is better than either the white or red.

c) It can be a very good, cheap refresher for outdoors and in this role, can take on all-comers at the same price point, I think.

Tavel is a tricky one. Candidly, I want to like it more than I do. I like the richness, I love that part of the world and know it quite well, and I have really enjoyed some Tavels.

But I think it’s a tricky wine to match with food. For fish it’s a bit too red… for white meats, I think pinot noir or bold whites work better.

Tavel can lack acidity, I’ve found - it can lack freshness, and a rose wine without acidity and freshness… I think that’s a bit of a waste of time, in the sense of what’s the point of it? Much, I suspect, isn’t terribly good.

That said, there are certainly a few good, enjoyable Tavels. I’ve greatly enjoyed individual bottles from Chateau D’Aqueria and St Ferreol. I’d like to try Mordoree’s. The Maby from TWS that I recently tried … was OK, but to my mind lacked acidity a bit, and I’m not sure what food match would really work.

I also recently had a rather - to my taste - disappointing rose from TWS. It’s the Ciro Rosato Gaglioppo 2019.

Let me be very clear: there’s nothing wrong with this wine as such, and I know another member of this forum, at least, enjoyed it. But I really didn’t enjoy it… A review on the website describes it as “strawberries in a glass”. I get that - it’s bright red, and very, very fruity. Maybe, from memory, some raspberry as well as strawberry.

But this was why it didn’t really work for me. It wasn’t as sharp, as edgy as I’d like, and to me lacked minerality. It’s what I’d imagine super-fruity supermarket rose to be like - though perhaps better at that than a typical supermarket rose (as befits its £10.50 price).

The TWS website also says it “would be particularly delicious with the local Calabrian sardella, a dish made with sardines and fennel”. Confess that this bit I really didn’t get. A sharp Italian white, racy and cutting through the lovely oily fish, would be a much better match for that dish. Why would you want strawberries in a glass with sardines?

But I have also had a recent rose triumph from TWS, and that’s the Society’s own-brand Corsican rose. It was wonderful. Delicate, sharp, supremely food friendly, edgy. Glorious at lunch in the garden on a warm sunny day. I applaud Marcel for finding this, and the Society for carrying a basic range wine at a £10.50 price point - above the norm - presumably because it’s so good. This to me is a wonderful wine… Indeed, it more than any Tavel reinforced my slightly negative view of Tavel (and also certain considerably more expensive famous-name rose wines) because I wondered why I’d need (at least most) Tavels with a wine like this on offer instead. For its purpose it is perfect.

These are my impressions… and they may of course change, which is something I like about having an interest in wine.

10 Likes

Probably one of my favourite Tavels! Tried it for the first time two years ago in Avignon, in a fab wine shop full of enomatic delights, and was smitten. It’s got flavour, it’s got body, it’s got power, but it’s also light on its feel (for a Tavel), and I would not hesitate to have it with fish, fowl or red meat. Not to mention Provençal fare.

Looking for the right moment to open mine!

1 Like

Im not normally the biggest fan but certainly a time and place for rose…as there is with every type of wine

My current rose of choice - not TWS so dont click if you dont want to see other things :wink:

Also enjoyed a few from the Rousillon

1 Like

in all honesty the q was probably a statement set to rile :wink:

but unlike the original question poser, you’ve written an eloquent piece

4 Likes