01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Rioja region vineyard visits

I’m very fortunate to be arriving in Spain on Saturday with the intention of visiting Rioja region and Ribero. Does anybody have personal recommendations for vineyards to visit. Preferably one that is ultra traditional a mix of old and new and a one that uses modern methods. And Ribero region. Also the best town, village in the region for bars and Tapas.
Thanks in advance

Hi - there are a few threads already with some great recommendations, worth having a look here.

Sorry its a link to 3 other links but thought it would be easier to do it this way.

2 Likes

We visited here as recommended by TWS…near Penafiel. Suggest you book ahead.

We had a great visit in autumn 2018.

BODEGAS HNOS. PÉREZ PASCUAS S.L., Ctra. de Roa s/n (09314) Pedrosa de Duero (Burgos)

T: +34 947 53 01 00 E: vinapedrosa@perezpascuas.com W: http://en.perezpascuas.com

2 Likes

Great threads thanks just learning out to search previous threads. Still a newbie

@Ventoux you’ll see my reported trip in the linked threads. I followed your idea of doing traditional v modern etc.
Depending on the time you have Haro has wineries to cover all the basics there.
Most places do tours and have tastings. Most charge but often theres good value with what you get. As you see we did Muga and Roda. Muga was a group tour and limited tasting. Roda we went large and had the lunch trip, one on one tour with basically more than an army could eat or drink. I’d do both again.

1 Like

Rioja - spoilt for choice.

Must-visits :-
(Haro)
Lopez Herdita / Tondonia. Prioritise a visit here.
Muga
Rioja Alta

(Alavesa)
Ysios - just to see that fabulous building
Baigorri
Riscal (again , mainly for the building)
CVNE’s Vina Real

(Alta)
Murrieta - for the history mainly. Wines a bit pricey
Ijalba
Montecillo
Conde Valdemar
Altanza

(Baja - now called Orientale)
Paco Garcia - strongly recommended. Book ahead.

If you get half a day (all day ideally) do visit the wine museum at Dinastia Vivanco. That and the one in Bordeaux are the best I’ve ever visited.

My experience of Ribera de Duero is less rewarding apart from one brilliant independant - Lopez Cristobal south of the river at the eastern end. Just outside the DO is Abadia Retuerta which does a good visit but wines are needlessly expensive.
Prado Rey / Real Sitio de Ventosilla was OK and wines not too pricey.

But all in all touring Rioja Alta / Alavesa is the better of the two regions by far.

1 Like

Can thoroughly recommend Ontanon, lovely people, very happy to show you around

I did the wine tour here, a little expensive but fascinating and you get to taste 5 or 7 wines, including their top wines.

Completely agree, all 3 are great, definitely Tondonia followed by the 30 sec walk over the road to Rioja Alta and then down the road to Muga.

3 Likes

Agreed, this is the way. We planned a trip to Rioja last summer which didn’t happen for obvious reasons but we were going to stay a few k outside Haro. I hadn’t got as far as thinking about wine trips but rolling between these three has to be the core.

Jim

2 Likes