01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Ridge Zinfandels 2017

Heads up that the latest Ridge Zinfandels have hit the website. Geyserville and Lytton @£40 (6 bottle limit) plus a mixed 3 including East Bench for £114.

You did some serious wizardry there… thanks for the heads up!

Indeed, thanks for the heads up. I’ve been waiting for this to become available - I like to buy three Lytton Springs every year to build up a vertical. Winging their way to me in the New Year :slight_smile:

Out of interest, when do you plan to drink them? I’ve found Lytton and Geyserville pretty impenetrable young, but at 10-12 years old just beautiful.

I had a 2014 a few weeks ago, and it was drinkable but still very young. A 2013 I had earlier this year was much more approachable (I thought). I have back to 2011. So I’m working on a drink 2, keep 1 basis at about six years old. Having said which, the 2014 may put a spanner in that, as I do think it needs longer.

Crazy. Ten quid more than last time I looked. I’m clearly going to have to get out of this wine buying business. Fast becoming rich people’s stuff.

I’ve had a few Ridge Zins over the past year - in order my favourites were 09, 15, 14, 93, 13, 11 - all good except the last, which seemed a bit green. The 09 (a Geyserville) was the stand-out favourite.

I bought two of the mixed cases of the Ridge 2016s but not feeling the urge to buy the 17s - does anyone know how they compare to the 16s?

The big jump occurred with the 2015. Lytton Springs was £37 in November 2017, compared with £29 for the 2014 in January 2017. It might be explained by hedges on the dollar meaning that the 2014 and earlier years (remarkably stable at around £28) was effectively bought at pre-referendum rates.

This year is actually cheaper than last year (by a whole £1!) But I agree that it’s quite painful. I’m glad that it hasn’t risen this year, as I was starting to consider how much longer I wanted to keep going if the trend continued. But then again, compared to Bordeaux prices, this is mild. I have stopped Bordeaux EP, for that reason.

Appreciate the heads up.
Mixed case in the bag.
Also like the idea of developing a vertical, so let’s see what future years bring.
Down the hatch.

If only the wine budget hadn’t been blown on Clape Cornas already…

Many thanks for the heads-up

I usually by the three-pack as I quite like the East Bench - I see it quite often in US restaurants, but it seems a bit expensive this year.

At the Ridge website the Geyserville and Lytton Springs are both $45 (£40 here) while the East Bench is $32 but £34 here…

So I’ve bought three Geyserville instead. I like a blend with Alicante

But - oh shucks - I realise now that I tasted the Lytton Springs 2017 last month and it was lovely…

(the uninformative TWS site doesn’t give the cepage of each.
East Bench is 100% Zin
Lytton Springs is 74% Zinfandel, 15% Petite Sirah, 9% Carignane, 2% Mataro
Geyserville is 68% Zinfandel, 18% Carignane, 12% Petite Sirah, 2% Alicante Bouschet

Fact sheets
https://www.ridgewine.com/wines/2017-east-bench-zinfandel/
https://www.ridgewine.com/wines/2017-lytton-springs/
https://www.ridgewine.com/wines/2017-geyserville/

Good info , thanks @peterm :+1:

Thanks @Comtes86, well spotted. A mixed case put into reserves.

They are more expensive than they used to be, but I think the winery’s price might exclude tax and shipping? Or at least, that’s partly how I’m persuading myself they’re still relatively good value!

My bucket list wine - which year?

2018 this time, to go along with 2015, 16 & 17. A few years to go until they’re drinking though I suspect! A good few of their CDR to fill the gap though.

Oh, sure. Nothing in the USA - except petrol strangely - Is priced at what you actually pay, as prices are quoted without (as a minimum) state tax.

What I was highlighting was the discrepancy - to my mind- of the price of the East Bench against the other two.

Ah I see. Come to think of it, I think East Bench was a fair bit cheaper than the other two when it was last offered for sale separately a couple of years ago. That discrepancy you mention does seem a bit odd.

The US West Coast showcase is online now. The Ridge Zinfandels have descriptions added.

But it doesn’t satisfy the geek in me. If one wants information about these wines the links I give above have everything. Why doesn’t TWS give a link to he fact sheet if they are only going to give minimal info?

(eg for Ridge Geyserville 2017
TWS: A field blend of Alexander Valley zinfandel (68%) carignane, petite sirah and a touch of alicante bouschet
Ridge site, and cepage on the label: 68% Zinfandel, 18% Carignane, 12% Petite Sirah, 2% Alicante Bouschet
The grapes are grown in three adjoining parcels on a defined stretch of gravelly soil approximately one-and-a-quarter miles long and a half-mile wide. )