01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Ridge Wines - Easy Explainer?

Hi, have just seen the Ridge En Primeur. A little pricey for my budget, but got me thinking that I have no idea how Ridge Wineries work at all.

Each of the wines seems to have a name and a style. What do they mean? Is there a quality hierarchy? Do they have different winemakers or one winemaker? Is the name just the parcel of land where it is from?

2 Likes

Lytton Springs is Sonoma and Monte Bello is Santa Cruz mountains in the Bay area,
Here is their web page for further information
https://www.ridgewine.com/visit/monte-bello/

1 Like

Might be one for @Sarah

1 Like

AFAIK all the Zinfandel based wines are single vineyards (and all different field blends).

1 Like

Monte Bello used to be about £90 per bottle and as such was a brilliant alternative to Mouton at a fraction of the price, the 2003 was £79 ea and the 2008 £95, both still going strong. See the “Judgement of Paris”

The WS also offers Ridge Mountain Cabernet or Cabernet Merlot from time to time. This is a bit like a second wine to Monte Bello and in my experience was good value. Alas, both wines have become much more expensive and I have stopped buying the odd couple of bottles for special occasions.
I’m sure others will comment about the Zinfandels.

Hi,
Let me see if I can help,
Ridge has two wineries - one in the Santa Cruz mountains - at Monte Bello - and one in Sonoma on Lytton Springs.
Monte Bello, Lytton Springs, Geyserville - are all names of the vineyards the wines come from.
They then also name the predominant grape variety in the blend - Cabernet (Monte Bello) and Zinfandel for the others.

The team has a number of very senior winemakers who are dedicated to certain regions or wines to ensure the focus needed for really high quality across their range - which though their cellar in the states is very large. However they really focus on around 6 key wines for export.

The price of Monte Bello has crept up quite quickly over the last few years, mainly due to lower yields and higher demand, however I truly believe that it still offers exceptional value and competes at its price.
When looked at in context of the “super Napa Icon cabernets” it even looks like a bargain!

Hope that answered some of your questions

14 Likes

Thank you very much, that explains a lot!!

1 Like

I used to buy Ridge wines in the 1970s and 1980s every time I was in the US with work. It was set up by Paul Draper who had been a programmer, as I was then. I liked the style of the operation and the detail that was presented on the labels. It is interesting to look back at my collection and I notice that early ones gave plenty of information about the wine but didn’t state the bottle size! I have a white Zinfandel 1982 label of a different style (condition too bad to scan). Sadly, by the late 1980s the price started getting out of my reach so I haven’t bought any since then.

7 Likes