01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Rhone Rangers v2

The Domaine Belle white Cz-H is reduced. Not substantially, but £100 a case strikes me as great for that. JLL ****.

1 Like

Does anyone have any experience of this CNdP Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Château La Nerthe 2016. I’ve not had it before but with the TWS glowing description and the reduced price I’m wondering about putting a couple of bottles away for five years or so.

Not so glowing from J.L…L. All newer vintages are full four star btw
2016 ()

(casks/oak vat, bottling June 2018) dark red colour. Blackberry and mulberry fruit twin on the nose, which has a straightforward sweetness, a plump style, done with restraint. The palate is sleek, bears suave content with ease in the tannins. It lacks the character of many this year, and I am left feeling that it could have been made with more full-on commitment, rather than being a risk-free product. It is juicy, the black fruits are tender, but there is something missing, and it veers towards dull in the context of this great vintage. 14.5°. 40% Gren, 30% Syrah, 23% Mourvèdre, 7% Cinsault, 47% tronconic oak vat, 35% 1-5 year 228-litre, 18% new 228-litre oak casks raised, 150,000 b this year. €35. From mid-2019. 2031-32 Oct 2017

1 Like

@MikeFranklin

Mike. I have 6 in reserves. These were allocated as part of a VCP. Sorry but I haven’t broached one as yet. However I was really surprised at the price when it appeared on the list. The VCP was c£30

Caller tracker notes in 2021 are becoming more favourable. They all suggest at this age needs a decant but it seems to be developing very well. I’m looking forward to opening one but it won’t be until late next year.

1 Like

Thinking of opening one of my 2013 Hermitage Le Greals I bought a few months back on New Years Eve. Having not much experience with real high end Hermitage would it be too early to do so?
Any help would be great!

What producer?

Marc Sorrel

Cellar tracker notes seem to suggest on the young side, which makes sense. A serious producer like Sorrel is probably a minimum of 10 years (or more!) from vintage for top Hermitage.

1 Like

Hold off for a few more years then?

I’d guess it depends how many you have. If 6 tucked away then opening one at Christmas doesn’t sound like a bad plan :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Sadly only 2 bottles so think I’ll have to hold out a few more years!

1 Like

Definitely worth buying a few, I really like La Nerthe and would say I’ve found them to be lighter and more elegant than some other châteauneuf so can be approached sooner. I have some ‘15s here which I started drinking earlier this summer, I personally don’t think that southern Rhone wines need years in the cellar but also realise that comes down to personal preference.

Their whites are amazing too.

2 Likes

A bit late to this one and I think you’ve made your decision already, Tom. By coincidence I was also eyeing up one of my pair of 2013 Le Greals for Christmas Day, but decided it was too serious a wine and to lay off for another 3-5 years before sampling one. In the end I went with a Domaine Belle Hermitage 2013 instead (also a TWS buy this year) on the 25th and it was lovely.

3 Likes

Hoping Taffy comes back for 2022 ….

15 Likes

Good call I reckon. Greal 2013 too young and possibly closed down I reckon.

2 Likes

Had the Exhibition hermitage 2012 for NYE
Was underwhelmed: a bit bretty despite ample decanting time, little fruit, not much pleasure…
The 2011 of the same vintage was much better imho.

I still have another bottle, hopefully it will be better!

1 Like

Anyone remember what date the Rhone Ep was released last year …??

This post was from 13th Jan, assume around then although this was probably a few days before it was officially available

https://community.thewinesociety.com/t/rhone-19-the-region-s-boldest-statement-yet-apparently/10249/18?u=winestwit

4 Likes

My pdf file from last year is dated 14/1/21 so I probably downloaded it the day after that post!

1 Like

Aged Thalabert anyone?

4 Likes