01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Restaurant recommendations please…

It’s my Dad’s 60th birthday next June. We have a weekend in London planned for the 7 of us (parents, siblings and wives), but unfortunately the restaurant I had planned to book for the Saturday night have advised they can’t sit more than 6 of us for dinner. So back to the drawing board.

Any recommendations for a nice restaurant with a good wine list? Would also need to cater for 1 vegetarian and be able to sit 7 of us. Would appreciate any insights into places you’ve eaten that were great/memorable

Thank you

A friend of mine has recently celebrated his 70th birthday with a family meal at the Atrium restaurant at the Nomad hotel having previously eaten at the original Nomad in New York. he was very pleased with the food, wine and ambience. I am not sure that his wallet was quite so happy! Vegetarian options on the menu Covent Garden Restaurants & Bars | NoMad London

2 Likes

Thanks David, I will check it out

I’d recommend these-
Grill at the Dorchester hotel-The Grill at The Dorchester | Dorchester Collection
The wine list online might not look much but they have a much bigger one when you go! Food is outstanding and a great sommelier who is very knowledgeable.
Launceston Place-

https://www.launcestonplace-restaurant.co.uk/

Went he recently with my brother to celebrate our birthdays.
Food is very good with a fantastic vegetarian menu. We opted for the tasting menu and few of us went for vegetarian courses which were great. Wine list again is great. They had a fantastic 1994 Silvaner Beerenauslese by the glass which we had with dessert was delicious!

2 Likes

Most of my recommendations aren’t so central (if that’s a problem I do have a few suggestions in central too). In no particular order:

1. La Trompette in Cheswick - Chez Bruce’s little sister (only it’s better and the Somm is brilliant!) so modern French with an excellent/eclectic wine list
  2. Trinity in Clapham - Combination of Michelin Starred and local restaurant down to a T. Sara is a great Somm too.
  3. Brunswick House in Vauxhall - it’s a great restaurant and it’s in an architectural salvage yard. Probably a division or two below in terms of food and wine (although still top notch, just less fine) but the best surroundings for a memorable mean (Note to self: find out corkage as it’d be a great alternative for a SW London meet).
  4. Core in Notting Hill. 3 Star nonsense with the price that comes with that, but so much less pretentious and far more welcoming than most. An incredibly special restaurant.
  5. Clove Club in Shoreditch. The exact opposite of Core in fine dining terms (except for the similar price tag). The highest UK restaurant in the top 50 list is dude food at it’s highest. It’s bloody good though.

I’ve not been yet but… Caractere in Notting Hill is run by Michel Roux Jr’s daughter and her husband. It is the restaurant that the most staff in fine dining restaurants I’ve eaten at recently have recommended.

Edit: I missed the vegi bit, which removes Core and Trinity from the list. La Trompette vegi options are good enough that last time I went I had one, and Clove Club does a full vegi tasting menu.

4 Likes

Without checking the ability to seat seven the names that would spring to mind are: Hide (connected to Hedonism), Noble Rot, Les 110 de Taillevent, Andrew Edmunds, Chez Bruce, La Trompette, Noize.

If you can stay a Monday then all branches of Hawksmoor do £5 corkage. The one on Air Street is a wonderful setting but the Seven Dials outpost is my favourite. There simply isn’t a better steak experience in London.

Goodman also recommended.

3 Likes

If you like Italian food (and wine) Sartorial is a personal favourite. Just off Regent’s Street so very central. Michael Simms is the Head Sommelier and can always be relied on to make great recommendations no matter your budget. They have a couple of private rooms too.

1 Like

+1 to these recommendations (although I haven’t been to les 110 de Taillevent, must have a look at that).

Where had you been planning to go, @LorriT1810? It’s difficult to narrow down recommendations without knowing a bit more about the budget, style, type of food you were thinking of.

Jim

1 Like

Noble Rot, Lamb’s Conduit street. Great list, food is superb, straight out of Elizabeth David. Surroundings are Dickensian, dark but welcoming. Customer service is top notch.

2 Likes

Thanks all.

We were planning on going to The Wolseley and still might as I realised they do a private dining room, so that is an option.

But now I will look at all the recommendations kindly offered :+1:t2:

2 Likes

The Wolseley used to have a decent Choucroute Garnie. That’s the perfect excuse to wash down a bottle of a nice Alsace white.

Elsewhere, the rest of the menu is pretty standard bistrot food.

2 Likes

I agree with this, but the room is spectacular, and the cooking is good. No prizes for originality at the Wolseley but it’s a lot of fun.

For similar money (I guess, not having directly compared menus), delicious food and brilliant wine at not-outrageous prices I’d go for Noizé.

Jim

2 Likes

We’ve enjoyed visits to Cafe Murano, at Covent Garden and St James.

3 Likes

Hide Above. Ask to sit in the window at the front. Great wine list, HIDE Restaurant
and even better food.

2 Likes

I’ve been there quite a few times with clients for work, but I agree, lovely place

Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden is good for a special occasion. French cooking, intimate atmosphere, and the two times I have been the staff were great.

Very strong wine list, French weighted, obviously, but plenty from other countries as well. And real depth - if there’s a wine style you want there are likely to be multiple producers / vintages. 2000+ wines on offer I seem to recall.

Apparently it is one of Will & Kate’s favourite places. (Although does that add or detract from the recommendation? :thinking:)

5 Likes

If it is one of Will and Kate’s favourite places that means at least Harry and Meghan won’t be there, so that in itself must be a recommendation.

5 Likes

Noble Rot won’t disappoint :blush: The Flat Iron is one of my favourite restaurants in London and they have private dining-rooms available for small parties :blush:

1 Like

If you want a good wine list - Noble Rot.
Pollen Street Social is usually reliable.
If you like a curry then Gymkhana is excellent.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but I find this reply offensive and inappropriate for our site and have reported in accordingly.

3 Likes