01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Red vs White

I would like some advice and opinion. I have been drinking and collecting and going to wine events all my life some 50 years or more. I have always been in the main a red wine drinker but have to say when I eat fish as I ofen do I drink white. Of late I have been suffering from very bad heartburn only when I have had white wine. Many years ago Pamela Van Dyke and also Michael Broadbent told me at a wine class I attened that if you want to drink red with say a dover sole you should it is not written in the laws. My question to you all is what red should I start to drink with a fish meal. I was leaning towards Gamay Pinot Noir or Corvina. Your advice and feedback would be most welcome.
Lawrence

1 Like

Pinot noir.

1 Like

Depends on the fish.

Something light like Sea bass then definitely Pinot Noir. Other end of the spectrum and I’m pretty sure something rich like a Turbot could take Bordeaux. Oily fish/salmon and a lighter Northern Rhone could be delicious.

Is it all whites that are setting you off? Could you explore richer/lower acid whites too?

In a related note we had a bottle of Gravonia with Steak recently and it was amazing, so the “red with red meat thing” is also definitely not set in stone.

3 Likes

And there are no wine laws of wine serving/pairing. There is lots of guidance, suggestions, best practice, an unhealthy dose of uncritically passed-on received wisdom and a smattering of snobbery, but no actual laws.

5 Likes

Gamay and Pinot Noir are very good - as mentioned above. We also drink Loire Cab Franc with meatier fish like salmon and tuna. Frappato - by itself or in the Cersuolo di Vittoria blend - is very good too with oily fish.

I wonder if your heartburn is related to the higher acidity in whites, though, and if so - maybe you should give rounder, less acidic whites a go if you haven’t already?

5 Likes

What an amazing bunch of people you all are thank you so much.
Lawrence

6 Likes

I’d always suggest Liatiko - this can be lovely, chilled with fish, especially BBQd fish. The only problem is getting hold of it here; the one on the WS list is a bit hit & miss in my experience, and perhaps on the less light side compared to some.

Grignolino can also work nicely [for me at any rate!], though slightly chilled again.

4 Likes

Anything at all if you don’t mind not tasting the fish! However a decent dish of bouillabaisse will take a light red Gamay etc. IMHO, fish is best if not messed around with too much and whilst there is no protocol for ‘white with fish’, unsurprisingly it makes sense. Tenpennyworth over and out :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Might I also suggest that the structure of lighter reds that would marry with fish tends to come from the acidity rather than the tannins, so I’m not sure switching from white to lighter reds is going to stop the initial problem.

I’m trying to think that maybe an alternative strategem could be to add an alkali balance to a meal to help maybe? Would that be more greens, less butter etc etc?

2 Likes

There will be lots of spurious and anecdotal advice trotted out on this question, no doubt, @Lawrence-DD5A8 - but, as a practising GP, I cannot understand why white wine should provoke indigestion / heartburn whereas red wine does not.

I certainly subscribe to the truism that you should drink whatever wine you like with whatever you are eating; but I wonder what the effect of a rosé or an amber wine, would have on your Constitution ? This might help narrow down the causation of your maladie ?

In keeping with this suggestion, I’d wonder what the effect of, for example, trying a low acidic white such as a Swiss Chasselas would have ?

2 Likes

Dear Sir
I think you must of miss read my question. I get the heart burn only with white wine not red.
Does that change your veiw.

I’ve reversed my comments but the suggestion remains the same !!

1 Like

I’m no doctor, but isn’t white wine generally more acidic than red wine?

Perhaps…Gavi (…scon)?

(Sorry)

6 Likes

Much of the red wine l like works well with fish. Anything light or medium weight really, with the proviso that it works best without too much in the way of tannins. Galician Mencía, Cerasuolo di Vittoria, many Alpine reds…

2 Likes

Yes, that reminds me. I think this shouldn’t overwhelm any fish and would be perfectly enjoyable slightly chilled too

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/anselmo-mendes-pardusco-tinto-vinho-verde-2019

3 Likes

Like that one too! In fact Alvarelhao is another of my favourites these days!

1 Like

As my wife and I have always drunk well over 90% red wines and we generally eat fish or vegetarian food, we take red with fish as normal.
Oily fishes such as grilled mackerel , sardines etc go well with red, ideally perhaps a red vinho verde. Many fish dishes are served with sauces that have so much flavour due to capers, olives etc that they can easily stand the flavours of a fuller red.
Having red in nearly every case when we drink wine saves me having to change colour for the cheese!

4 Likes

3 Likes