01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Red or white?

do you have any old Chenin - I used to play a trick along these lines…couple of wines to taste (one red and one white) where you could use all the senses and one glass where you were blindfolded - always served an older savennierre and most thought it was red

someone also mentioned temperature…serving all around the same temp is important and circa 14 is good as whites are warmer than normal and reds are cooler than normal. Ive done this by having all at room temp and putting in the fridge for 1 hour before the tasting

good luck and enjoy !

1 Like

Steve has said, it’s the word ‘blend’ that is normally used for wines.

Re PDO - I bow to Steve’s knowledge of EU regulations, but I thought PDO took the place of AC in France and I’m sure Ac rules don’t allow blends of white and red wines to make pink.

I didn’t consider non-Champagne pink sparkling wines. Didn’t give them a moments thought, not on my radar :slight_smile:

(Apologies yet again for straying off-topic with techy detail. Mods: feel free to spin this off to another thread. )

You might well be right in practice for still wines. I have found no exceptions.

ACs are French PDOs as far as the EU is concerned - so effectively they are the same thing.

As far as I can make out, what individual French ACs allow in this respect is totally up to that AC. Certainly some (I suspect most) crémant ACs allow blending of red and white wines. Outside of France, the same applies to Cava, Franciacorta, English Sparkling, and doubtless other sparkling wines. Alsace Crémant Rosé is a notable exception, which must be 100% Pinot Noir.

There was a lot of misinformation when France was objecting to the EU allowing “blended rosés”, but in truth they were only ever banned at EU level for still wines with no geographic indication. I wrote about this some time ago. While I was a lone voice at the time, no one ever produced any argument to contradict me.

1 Like