01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Red Burgundy

I remember reading many years ago, I think it may have been in a wine primer by Andre Simon, the following comment: there is no such thing as good burgundy, there are only good bottles of burgundy. I think that burgundy wines, red in particular, are a minefield. Whites are more reliable. Add in the fact of the relatively high cost of these wines, I find better value elsewhere.

I can’t fault TWS here on their selection of Burgundy - this is a function of the market and demand for the wine as is the escalating price. I have now turned to the New World for Chardonnay and will start to do the same for Reds, once I have drunk my reserves over the next decade.

Great selection of 2015 burgundy has just appeared, seems to be fairly small quantities available. Pricing is at first sight scary, but is competitive with current market pricing

Oh my word…

Slightly interested in where it’s come from, as some of the wines are things I was unsuccessful in buying EP from the society. I assume judging by the quantities, left overs and oddments?

Scary at second sight too!..

Pataille prices look okay… I missed ordering Pataille in 2015… not any more

Might be a few things…

(1) TWS do hold back stock, so not all is allocated out
(2) People do cancel EP orders after the allocation is done

Now both Clos du Roy and Marsannay sold out… only Bourgogne left

Jings. That didn’t take long.

Well, the 2010 Clos du Roy appeared on the list last year (£21 I think - much more digestible - and consequently quite happily sitting in my reserves), so maybe they’ll do the same with some 2015s and hold a few lines back for a later date.

I snooze, I lose.

Lots more burgundy added, mainly 2013’s and 2014’s. Would be a bit cautious about the 2013’s several of these are available on the secondary market at big discounts to EP pricing.

Big dump of burgundy, selection is up to 196 different wines. Happy days !

Oh gawd, more temptation! Amazing how expensive Fourrier is.

Will top up the wishlist and see if I end up putting another mixed case into reserves…

Apparently there is a burgundy offer landing Monday, which I imagine includes all of this new burgundy

Apologies for thread drift but is there a way of doing this? Or rules on numbers (I know TWS loves a rule)? There are quite a few wines on the list I would like to keep for a few years without buying a whole case. I already have some wine with TWS if that helps.

It’s easy, just put 12 wines in your basket and when you check out you will have the option to put them into reserves. You have to take them out all at once, though, so make sure the drinking windows are relatively synchronised. For example I have a case to withdraw c. 2024 that contains:

1 Domaine Robert Chevillon, Nuits-Saint-Georges Vieilles Vignes 2013
2 Domaine Sylvain Pataille, Marsannay Montagne 2015
1 Domaine de Bellene, Nuits-Saint-Georges Vieilles Vignes 2012
2 Domaine Dujac, Morey-Saint-Denis Premier Cru 2014
2 Domaine Robert Chevillon, Nuits-St-Georges Premier Cru Roncières 2009
2 Domaine William Fèvre, Chablis Grand Cru Côte Bouguerots 2013
2 Domaine de Montille, Nuits-Saint-Georges Premier Cru Les Thorey 2015

OR… in the search for a Burgundy equivalent, one can cast one’s net wider ?

Would be nice to see more that just ONE Tasmanian P.N. in TWS lists because in my opinion, although pricey they are great value for money compared to Premier Cru Burgundy, and usually perhaps better in the glass. Every now and again TWS do a Tassie collection - well worth snapping up.

8 bottles of this available now… qualifies for free delivery … :wink:

I’ve had their Chapelle-Chambertin 2014 and found it pretty underwhelming (luckily I didn’t buy it!)

split this topic #28

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Red Burgundy Pinot Noir alternative