01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Red Burgundy Pinot Noir alternative

request

I second the Baga recommendation. The Society used to stock the Dirk Niepoort single varietal Baga from Bairrada, which was a truly elegant wine. Filipa Pato’s Nossa Calcario is another very good example.

COS Cerasuolo di Vittoria (about 20 now I think, not sure as i get it from Italy)

Guess you’ve tried the Chateau des Jacques bojos from Jadot? They are pretty Burgundian, and the basic wine (not the single vineyards of course) comes in well under 20 British pesos.

TWS had a great little mencía a few months back, Lousas (from Envínate). £15. They usually just stock the cheap stuff, sadly, which isn’t as interesting (of course).

Baga is another I should have mentioned (there really are an almost infinite number of good pinot alternatives).

And Xinomavro! How the hell did I forget xinomavro?! All the Thymiopoulos wines from TWS are great.

I recently paid £26 for it. But it’s worth it :slight_smile:

26?! Clearly going the way of Occhipinti Frappato…

Bloody hell. Better get a case in… or with the way the British peso is going, maybe not :frowning:

I won’t be surprised if you could get it for a bit less, so closer to £20. I got mine from a local wine cellar that is known for its inflated prices. But I couldn’t not buy it, seeing as it’s not that easy to get hold of.

I’d love to see the WS stock more Niepoort of all descriptions. A non-fortified douro red of theirs is my red of the year so far, and currently got a ruby dum port on the go which is gorgeous. Very curious to try the Niepoort-Navazos as well, essentially an unfortified sherry

Agreed! I love his stuff. His entry level ‘Drink me’ tinto and branco show what you can achieve with an ‘entry’ level wine, if you know what you’re doing. Like you, I wish The Society stocked more of his wines - of all price levels (his Concisco Dao is another gorgeous red, albeit much more expensive).

I have bought the Mad Fish Pinot and enjoyed this given its price…an interesting alternative.

I’m not a big fan of it. I find it quite bland and uninteresting really.

It’s funny, I very rarely drink red burgundy for price reasons, but this thread has made me realise that almost all my favourite red wines have in common being described as burgundy-esque or burgundy alternatives

I’d say the same for us. We rarely drink red Burgundy, and when we do - it’s usually at the lower price point, but our preference is definitely for the lighter, perfumed reds, with a good degree of acidity and mellow tannins. One of our favourites is varietal Cabernet Franc which - although not quite a red Burgundy ‘alternative’ - makes for a great red, with floral notes, lovely red fruit and lively acidity, so ticks our boxes nicely.

Public Service Broadcast - Received an email today regarding a pinot noir sale this Friday, starting at 5pm. 15-20% discount off all pinot noir here:

and here:

They are normally a bit expensive, but assuming the sale price has not already been applied, should bring the Kooyong Massale PN down to around £15/£16 depending on the final discount applied. There must be other relative bargains available too.

If the sale price has already been applied, then sorry to raise anyone’s hope unnecessarily, but goes to show what amazing value TWS already give us.