01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Recommendation for Beaujolais for aging

recommendations

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask for advice in terms of Beaujolais, I know that good examples age well - with Moulin-a-vent being the main cru that is known for aging for many many years. Aged Beaujolais tastes like red Burgundy after a while which is great to know owing to the much lower price point of Beaujolais.

I am tempted to get a case (or maybe half a case) of some Moulin-a-vent with the premise of laying it down for a number of years to enjoy a while down the road. The question is - which producers/vintages should I look to get? Not looking to spend too much per bottle as if I were to spend more its in the lower reaches of actual red Burgundy.

Here is the original thread that kicked this off

Currently languishing in my reserves, from 2013.
Supposed to be a tidy bottle.
Time will tell.
But the best I ever had was a Penfold’s Bin (maybe 3) Pinot Noir which had thrown an inordinate amount of sediment. Fruit and compost heap in equal measures, unforgettable!??!

I’m certainly no expert (see the thread you linked to) but according to Hugh Johnson, Jadot’s Chateau des Jacques is a very good example. Must admit to having only tried it once (young) and I was fairly underwhelmed but I do have a couple in the cellar that I’m going to hold on to for a bit, found them in Sainsburys! He also recommends Liger Belair which can be found at BBR

In keeping with my comments on the ‘How does good Beaujolais age?’ thread, I’d certainly consider tucking some of this away:

And/or, if you’d like some magnums in your life…

Following on from @martin_brown and his recommendations I would also second looking at Morgon as the wines are ideal for laying down as well as Moulin-a-vent. The soils in Morgan as made up primarily of decomposed schist or “rouches pourries” as the locals call it and are really rich in Manganase .( Interestingly the soils of Moulin-Á-Vent are also rich in manganese due to the decomposed pink granite the vines grow in.)
Morgon wines age really well and have a characteristic bright ripe cherry fruit which change over time to develop what you are talking about @M1tch with the pinot “esq” type flavours.
Areas within Morgon to look out for are :Les Micouds, Les Charmes , Cote dy Puy, Douby, Grand Cras and Corcellette .
Hope this helps.

Thanks for that info, I was mainly heading towards Moulin-a-vent as those are known to age well, good to know that Morgon also ages well :slight_smile:

Just having a look at our guide:

It would seem that aged Moulin-a-vent goes to Burgundy, aged Morgon goes to a Rhone.

I have a soft spot for Beaujolais (even worked the vendange in Regnie as a student - that was hard work !) but to be honest, I find BJL is a star that rises fast and falls equally quickly. My opinion is that Gamay simply lacks the qualities to age beyond 10 years, and those bottles that are ‘age-worthy’ don’t taste like BJL in anyway so what’s the point?

Personally, I’d go for a Morgon of between 5 to 8 years from a committed producer, and try a few. The good news is that tWS have a superb selection and it is hard to go wrong.

I took delivery of one of these to lay down for a year or two

Reviews of the standard bottle are actually pretty bad as covered in another thread, hope it’s worth the effort!

Otherwise I’m just building up a few others to chip away at over the next few years

Thanks for that, it makes sense for Gamay to not really age past 10 years - I don’t think many people think it could last more than 1 or 2! Will have a look around - always find it interesting to see how things evolve over time.

Moulin-à-Vent, La Roche, Château des Jacques, Louis Jadot, 2006 (TWS). Bought & drank in 2015 - it was superb. And at £18 it should have been ! Likewise, I’m interested in how well wines can age & develop secondary flavours.

I find TWS bin/offer shelves at Stevenage a happy hunting ground for older bottles.

Incidentally - the price for Cru Beaujolais has hardly changed over the years, an absolute bargain. Especially when you compare to the steady upwards price trend for lesser Burgundies & Bordeaux.

I agree that the Cru Beaujolais are a steal, and also interesting to explore around the 10 different options!