01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Recommend an Aussie Riesling

that doesn’t taste like rubbers (i.e. pencil erasers) dipped in lime juice, coated in lime zest. I try and try and yet, they’re all the same, in all their limey, battery-acid tennis ball boringness. Someone somewhere must surely know of an Aussie Riesling that’s a bit different?!

Edit: I’ll settle for anything that doesn’t include the word “lime” in the tasting notes!

Her name is Sarah Knowles MW… :wink:
But I get where you’re coming from. I’m also a bit of a sceptic, who seem to end up with a preference for Alsace and Germany (and Austria, too). Having said that, this one was SO good in the press tastings - it blew my socks off. Fantastic Aussie Riesling:

The Pewsey Vale is worth a look. Available at Oddbins last time I checked

And most would say you can’t go wrong with Grosset

I was just about to recommend some until I realised the ones I like are precisely what you hate. I’d stick to other countries and leave the Aussie stuff for me

This may well end up being the only solution… I’ll trade you my lifetime’s share of Australian Riesling in return for your lifetime’s share of [a wine you hate that I like]!

As it happens, Grosset make the Riesling that I dislike least in Australia thus far!

Praise indeed!! Glad to be of service :wink:

Disclaimer: I’m only going on reputation. I have Grosset in the cellar but it’s far too young to think about opening yet

Hi @Mooble, Have to agree with @SteveSlatcher, these are the attributes I also like with young Aussie Riesling. I think however there are 2 things to try before turning your back on these wines. Firstly Grosset’s Alea, was stocked by TWS but out of stock currently.

Secondly bottle age, these linear, limey youngsters do soften with age. Had a Grosset Polish Hill 2003 recently that was unbelievably good. Try Pewsey Vale ‘The Contours’.
http://www.nywines.co.uk/winelist/?search=Pewsey+Vale+‘The+Contours’+Museum+Reserve

And do give this Austrian Riesling a try

Good Luck

I think this is a very good idea - I shall source something with some age on it before I throw in the towel completely! Not tried the Alea before, but think I can get hold of it so shall give it a go too.
I’m a big fan of Austrian Riesling as it happens… I should probably have shares in F X Pichler at this point…

You definitely need bottle age. There’s a 2014 grosset I think still on WS, or it may have gone. Anyway give it time, lots of it, then love it.

Sorry @Mooble you clearly already know your Austrian Riesling.

It will repay the love !

I’m quite a fan of dessert riesling and with BA and TBA being very expensive I quite enjoy Aussie alternatives, Great Western Wine of Bath do this, ‘The Noble Wrinkled Riesling, d’Arenberg’ at £11.50 a half…a bargain!

Try Majestic’s Frankland Estate Riesling although they may have to order it for you as I don’t think it’s a stock line. Western Oz, very restrained, a more European style, definitely dry, acidity to the fore. It’s become a real favourite of mine.

Their Isolation Ridge has always been a favourite of mine. Usually thru BBR, but currently out of stock.

They are not really a substitute for German BAs or TBAs, but Aussie stickies are incredible value, the only wines I brought back from my old Aus trip were stickies as being half bottles you could get them in the luggage, I don’t remember d’Arenberg doing them at the time could be wrong ? some are fortified wines and they also are bargains, I remember one from Rockfords, and another from Morris, plus, and I can not remember the wineries a couple of noble rot Semillons, all were amazing value and quality.
I think Hugh Johnson a long time ago spoke of these as Australias hidden masterpieces, or something like that .

You certainly wouldn’t mistake them for BA/TBA’s but the value is superb. D’Arenberg have been making sticky Riesling and Semillon since I have been into wine (about 2000 onwards) and they also do one based on white Rhone varieties. De Bortoli are better known for the Noble One Semillon and also do the Tesco Finest Dessert Semillon, which is a good cheap sweetie,

Trying to remember that far before 2000, if I am correct I was told that many wineries make stickies but not every year, rather like in Europe the grapes have to be right and noble rot is not as easy to induce as it is in Europe , and I beieve most of the fortified are muscats and I believe most natural stickies are Semillon and Resieling, I am a bit out of touch on these now, time to get in there and purchase some again.

I like the sweeter, richer Australian wines but CANNOT abide the epithet ‘stickies’.