01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Recommend a sweet wine

My wife likes a small glass of sweet wine some evenings. We ordered this wine, which went down very well. Very Intense flavour, honey depth with tropical and citrus.

What others from the current society range do you recommend?

5 Likes

is pretty hard to beat without paying a lot more (haven’t tried 2013)

3 Likes

In a similar price range as yours, I would try this…

or in case the Blind Spot version comes back in stock then that at two thirds of the price.

1 Like

@matedw The first sweet wine I tasted and it’s still a favourite. Cheaper than your price range and strawberry/raspberry flavours instead of citrus, but I would still highly recommend.

3 Likes

Agree with this too, I remember trying Rutherglen Muscat with a sticky toffee pudding and it was just so delicious.

That is such a nice wine… chilled with some soda water it is heaven.

1 Like

I was going to suggest the Noblesse du Temps, as it was on knock-down, but it appears to all have gone in the last 24hrs…

However, there are plenty of others:

Admittedly fortified, but two of the best ‘affordable’ and available Buals out there.

2 Likes

This one.

1 Like

Well, it depends what she prefers. The ones some people are recommending (heavy, fortified, Australian) would certainly be sweet, but not at all like a straw wine. Some Samos would be possible, but not TWS one, which I found more sweet than interesting.

A couple of possibles within the same price range would be the WS Exhibition Sauternes (although I see only the half available at the moment) or Coteaux du Layon Domanie Cady St Aubin. More expensive (I try to get them in the EP offers) Ch Coutet or Suduiraut. I have been lucky enough to stock up on German and Alsace sweet from the producers, so I can’t help on the WS ones.

2 Likes

I am sorry I recommended this. While it is very nice… I have to admit it is on the heavy side. Please observe other people’s recommendations instead.

When the main Bordeaux 2019 EP offer appears you should consider a case (12) of halves of Chateau Cantegril. Year after year it delivers great value. It drinks relatively early too. Very good value for Barsac.

2 Likes

Or there is usually a mixed case, or two, of halves. Worth it to experiment.

This with some blue cheese:

This with some tarte tatin:

And this by the fire, on a lovely autumn evening:

5 Likes

If & when the opportunity arrises, it’s well worth seeking out one of the many sensational wines from Saussignac… :¬)

1 Like

I’m glad it’s not just me who likes Pineau des Charentes!

(I thought it wasn’t considered a ‘serious’ wine though?)

3 Likes

Who wants serious when you sit by the fire and contemplate life…?

I don’t actually have a fireplace, I hasten to add. But it’s easy to imagine I do with this delightful number in hand :+1:

2 Likes

I have the blind spot version in reserves and if anything it is slightly better - a bit more balanced

@Inbar @Tannatastic who cares if it’s not serious wine, it’s delicious! That Pineau is one of TWS’s hidden gems.

Coteaux du Layon are also usually underpriced for their relative quality in my experience - great value and versatile.

5 Likes

With Bordeaux EP going at at the moment, have a look at the 2019 Sauternes when the main offer comes out in July. Maybe a bit more than the suggestions above but Doisy Daëne for instance is usually reliable and good value. Could be worth chucking a case (bottles or halves) into reserves and forgetting about them for a few years. You won’t regret the purchase when you finally pull them out and work your way through the case.

5 Likes

I’m currently a fan of 2nd wines of 1er cru Sauternes Chateaux.

They’re usually a lot lighter/more drinkable that the first wines. Think a sweet wine for eaton mess/summer fruit rather than blue cheese or a bigger pud. Madame de Rayne is a particular favourite. Their first wine is also excellent, but pricey and only comes in full sized bottles (which given just how sweet/syrupy it is is hard to get through in a house of two before it goes off!).

My other favourite half way between the two Sauternes is their neighbour (no, not that neighbour*) Raymond Lafon, which I find frustratingly difficult to get in this country.

*they’re both part of the cluster of vineyards round d’Yquem. Speaking of, a fair few places do a “declassified Yquem” for about £15 a half, that’s also delicious.

6 Likes