01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

REBELPI Icewine- Jackie Fast

I’ve come across various social media posts yesterday and today regarding this “New” Icewine made by Pentage in BC for Jackie Fast who apparently is an Apprentice candidate (I haven’t watched it btw.).
She is marketing this 100% Roussanne as a first of a kind at a whopping £139 per half bottle :scream::scream:
There is a little more information here from Peter Ranscombe (But not much).
https://www.scottishfield.co.uk/food-anddrink/blogs-food-drink/peter-wine-spirits/apprentice-star-launches-canadian-ice-wine/

To me, without tasting it, my first thoughts are
A) Doesn’t Roussanne loose acidity the riper it gets?? (Could be wrong )
B) Isn’t it amazing what a pretty face can sell?
C) HOW MUCH??

I’m trying to remember what d’Yeum EP was and I think it was around the same price. I know its not Icewine but I find it hard to believe that the first vintage of this Roussanne wine is being sold at such an inflated price. I think I’ll stick to Peller Ice wines if I’m in the market for a Canadian half bottle.

Style over substance. If I’m paying north of £100 for dessert wine it’s going to be top end Sauternes, barsac or possibly some incredibly superannuated Rivesaltes. But most of these, most of the time, are actually a lot cheaper. I could lapse into lazy stereotypes to describe the type of people who will buy this, suffice to say I doubt they frequent this forum. I am looking forward to trying the first of a batch of 07 Suduiraut at Christmas, which was £13/half IB.

Quite so.

(from the linked article)
Roussanne’s naturally-crisp acidity comes shining through, balancing the sweetness of the fruit and delivering a fresh finish.

Pffft! As @Leah says, more likely to be low-acid on late harvest. Though I suppose BC is a fair way north to be growing this grape so who knows? Certainly not me at that price!

I think with ice wine its a bit like Tokaji Eszencia in terms of the tiny quantities being produced compared to ‘normal’ botrytis concentrated wines. For Ice wines the grapes are picked whilst still frozen (need to be colder than around -7C) - the tiny bit of juice is extracted by removing the water in the form of ice.

We do have an ice wine for sale at the moment:

With Botrytis concentrated wines you get flavours of the Botrytis and a slightly more concentrated flavour of whatever grape is being used. With Ice wine there is now additional flavour being added its simply the raw concentrated expression of the grape. Its sweet as its got all of the sugars from the grape with none of the water - this also takes YEARS to ferment into wine, I think the Tokaji Eszencia takes about 4 years of fermentation to make into a wine as its so so sweet.

I am fully aware and understand the process of producing Icewine, I do not understand however the pricing of this particular one :wink:.

I do agree with you on that, seems a tad high considering Aldi usually do one at Christmas for around the £25-£30 mark - perhaps its £30 for the wine and £100 for the bottle the wine is in? :smiley:

Q - how many people watching the apprentice will fork out £139 for this?

Peter Ranscombes note of " it’s tasty" mirrors my 8year olds tasting note of the first wine that touched his lips ! descriptive but limited…i’m assuming there is an expanded note somewhere

As with others on here, if I were to spend that much on a sticky…it wouldn’t be on this

Probably based on - I’m going on the apprentice so lets charge a lot

:wink:

Q - How many people still watch the apprentice? I didn’t even know it was still going!

I used to watch every episode but over the last couple of series ive flitted in and out…this series…not seen a single episode

Its changed and Im not interested in all the BS, back stabbing and general dumbness that goes on

The cleverest apprentices are those who don’t bother applying - there are better paid jobs out there if you wanted the money and even I know at the age of 31 that a high paid job isn’t worth it. Not sure why Alan Sugar is the boss, anyone still got an Amstrad PC?

The exact moment my eyebrows raised :rofl:… he’s not saying very much about it at all .

even his twitter feed only points to this review !

paid editorial / review to promo the show, contestant and wine ?

I recently had a beautiful bottle of an Austrian 2011 Gruner Veltliner eiswein, for the princely sum of £17 (half bottle).

The whole thing is so clearly relying on a marketing ploy connecting the Rousanne Icewine with this (dull) show. I think I’ll pass.

I’ve only ever had a few bottles of icewine in my life. I suspect that’s probably true for most wine-lovers, unless you are in the trade, and even then…

But they are not always wonderful. In fact, they can sometimes be unbalanced in some way, leading to disappointment. And I know I’m not alone in thinking that, because I have discussed it with others.

If I was wanting to splash out this sort of money on a late-harvest wine, I think I would go for a German or an Austrian Beerenauslese or trockenbeerenauslese, from a good grower in a good year.

But there is a certain “gee whiz” element in buying an icewine. Before the labelling requirements changed, you also used to be able to buy the occasional bottle of things like “sylvesterwein” and “nikolauswein”, from grapes picked on specific dates, indicating the very extended hang time they were given.

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but there is an English Bacchus “icewine” - in inverted commas because it’s made from late-picked grapes bunged into the deep-freeze! It never normally gets cold enough in England for grapes to freeze on the vine.

When I was out in Portugal for a Travels in wine a few years ago we were at Dirk Niepoort’s winery, one of the growers had some random grapes in their vineyard, found out they were Riesling and at this point were very very late harvest. He basically took the grapes froze them down using a large freezer unit he hired and put in the car park - think he made something like 12 litres in total!

The other thing that struck me about all of this is that the actual Wine Makers - Pentage Winery in BC , currently sell a frizzante Reisling Ice wine for $40 per half bottle and use their Roussanne in a Viognier/Marsanne/Roussanne blend.

Pretty interesting to say the least.

Eiswein is expensive because the methods of production are time consuming, and also yields can be very low because of the higher chance of rot (the bad type - grey rot) before the crop is picked. Does this mean that the resultant wine is better than a botytised wine? In my experience of tasting both styles over the past 25 years the answer is a resounding NO. Eiswein can be good, but botytised wines are generally better and usually cheaper. This is why I have plenty of Sauternes, Alsace SGN and sweet Vouvray in my cellar and not a single bottle of eiswein.

Icewine can be good and you don’t have to pay a fortune for it. Austria and Canada produce some fairly nice and affordable (as a treat) examples. If you are talking top end I’d agree that Tokaji/Sauternes/SGN/TBA and Loire Chenin are better places to look for first rate dessert wine.
The best Eiswein I tried was actually quite full of botrytis (clearly the good sort) and was a bit of an oddity (was from the 70’s and drunk about 15 years ago) a Rhinegau Riesling but forgot the producer) could have confused it for a BA if not a TBA. I’ve read that most people who set out to make an Eiswein/Icewine try to avoid botrytis, but this was a happy accident I guess!

Given that this thread has turned to an interesting discussion on good value sweet wines, I’m surprised not to see a mention of monbazillac. Can’t argue with the Loire for quality / value though!!