01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Reading is not just for Christmas

books

Hermann Hesse! There’s a memory from my teenage years. Another must read when I was in my teens was Gormenghast/Titus Groan. That’s what the (self-delusional in my case having never been such) cool kids read rather than Lord of the Rings :-))

Started my 100 classic books before you die challenge on December 15. So far I have read, The Great Gatsby, On The Road, To Kill a Mockingbird & Catch 22. I am now a third of the way through Lolita. I am actually a bit disturbed about this book. The way the author writes it is like he is trying to get you on the subjects side. In one way I want to stop reading yet I keep going.

Got The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell for Christmas…read it in a day.

Very amusing, pithy and with some serious bits too.

I have been in his shop a few times, but fortunately not in the year covered here…Wigtown is the Scottish Hay on Wye…

Safe to say that Amazon is not his favourite company and that if his observations are true then there are some astonishingly rude customers around, though he seems to give as good as he gets!

This is what Lolita is partly famous (infamous?!) for - the narrator’s attempt to gain the reader’s empathy. A classic example of an unreliable narrator. I couldn’t finish it. In fact, I hated the book.

I know it quite well ! My Aunt and Uncle had a beautiful cottage there and I would visit whenever I was in the area for work . They’ve since moved to Carcassone :blush:.

Thanks @Inbar I had never came across book, author, or film before so had no idea that was the authors intention. I will finish the book abhorrent as it

I remember enjoying Lolita.

I’ve got 250 pages left of W&P. I’m loving it.

Just finished ‘Fire and Fury’ by Michael Woolf. I sincerely hope that much of it is made up (but fear it isn’t)…

II have now finished Lolita and have now moved onto Midnights Children by Salman Rushdie.

I know I’m going to be in a very small minority but I didn’t enjoy Midnights Children.

I liked Lolita a lot, mainly because it forced me to think a lot about that empathy that was building for Humbert Humbert and how he (or him as the narrator) gets you to feel that empathy.

Midnight’s Children I liked but felt was very similar to One Hundred Years of Solitude, which I read just before and totally loved. I imagine if I’d read them the other way round I’d probably like Midnight’s Children better!

Alice Waters’s memoirs are a wonderful reading. From growing up in California in the 60s to the opening of Chez Panisse, it’s a great ready. Plus, you hear the developement of the slow food and California cuisine movements from someone who’s been a leading light on both.

I just started this fascinating book:

A must read for anyone with teenagers! :+1:

So I enjoyed Midnight Children, Rushdie writing is very descriptive if not a little bit over the top why write 5 pages when 10 will do… Subsequently read Alice in Wonderland [OK] and The Catcher in the Rye [Which I enjoyed]. 8 down 92 to go. The Grapes of Wrath next.

Grapes of wrath is great. Not read it for many years but I remember distinctly enjoying it

Just OK?!! I think it’s brilliant… :heart_eyes:

I think I am too old :blush:

Recently ‘Love is Blind’ by William Boyd- very good,much better than his last two from my point of view. Then ‘All The Pieces Matter’ about the greatest TV series ever made (The Wire not Terry and June). Very interesting to hear from those responsible and also about the difficulties of actually getting the five series made. Next will be The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Murakami.

I think you missed a zero (and not in a good way :grinning:)

I loved the Wire. Thanks for highlighting the existence of this book!