01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Reading is not just for Christmas, but

books

Just finished On the Road by Kerouac, jazz, poetry, drugs, I think more of the latter then the first 2. Strange to read a book with absolutely no plot. Not one I would rush back to read again. Now half way through To Kill a Mocking Bird, really enjoying it.

Probably one of my favourite books of ALL time , hope you enjoy it :wink:

An great collection of SF, @Cormski!

Children of Time is excellent (so long as you don’t suffer from arachnophobia) I thought it was brilliantly constructed.
I have Dogs of War on my wish list.
Luna I thought very good but I would recommend having all three to hand. It is really one single book arbitrarily split into three. The end of the first book in particular is only a chapter ending.
Death’s End is a brilliant finale to a fantastic hard SF trilogy.
I’m holding off on The Soldier until he has all three out.
I’ve never read Newitz - I would love to hear your views on this one. It seems to have made a marmite split amongst the reviewers I normally look to.

I’m currently reading or will be shortly:
Richard K Morgan’s The Black Man (aka Thirteen) which is okay but not as good as his Takeshi Kovacs books.
John Wyndham’s The Kraken Wakes (as part of my (re)reading of all his SF books).
Ken Follett’s The Pillar’s of Earth (which will be my first Follett).

To be honest my pace of reading seems to have diminished of late.

The other half is currently reading that - and loving it! Just reached ‘phase two’ and is very scared…!
For me, Wyndham is one of the most lucid and thought-provoking writers of the genre. The Day of the Triffids and Chocky are books I really enjoy re-reading every so often. Up there with Wells’s The Time Machine and War of the Worlds. :+1:

I found Choky pretty heart-rending! But yes I do love Wyndham’s writing. My English teacher pushed me towards him once he discovered my interest in SF and my lack of interest in most other “classic” English literature. I’ve always been grateful to him for his understanding!

Sounds like a great teacher! Though personally I think that well-written SF books, of the sort Wyndham and Wells wrote, are just as classic pieces of writing as your Dickens or Austen.

I don’t spend nearly as much time time as I’d like reading either, and as you’ve rightly surmised, I’m a huge SF fan. I’ve just finished Cixin Liu’s The Dark Forest, so am looking forward to Death’s End.

I wouldn’t normally go for hardbacks, preferring to wait for the paperback, but recently read Richard Morgan’s Thin Air which I enjoyed as much as all his other books. And I watched the Netflix production of Altered Carbon, which prompted me to re-read the Kovac’s books over the summer.

My shelves are stacked with Neal Asher, Alistair Reynolds, Peter F Hamilton, Iain M Banks and many, many, others…

Thanks for the heads up on Luna. I’ll look out for number three as soon as I’m done!

Ah you’ve listed most of my favourite authors there! :smiley:

I watched the Netflix Altered Carbon but have slightly mixed feelings. I thought taken on its own it was a great piece of noir SF but as an adaptation of Altered Carbon, for me, it strayed much too far from the original. Particularly in that Kovacs moved from being an envoy - elite Protectorate soldier - to an envoy - elite rebel soldier. And with so much of the story focusing on that aspect (including the sister that isn’t even in the book) it really wasn’t the same story at all. But as I say, as a standalone piece of SF it was very good (even if it borrowed a little too much styling from Bladerunner).

Really enjoyed it Leah, thanks.

Reading the sequel (written many many years later) ‘Go set a watchman’ will give you an interesting perspective - not as good a book as TKAM but still worth the effort.

Will have to put that one on the back burner, trying to read a list of 100 classics, 3 down, Catch 22 waiting for me at home. In between times will revert to usual reading with the first in a series [Amos Decker] by David Baldacci.

Autonomous is Annalee Newitz’s debut novel, and I think it’s a pretty good effort after ploughing through the first half of it yesterday. I’m not one to over-analyse books, so it’s as simple as “it has a little bit of the Cory Doctorow about it, and I’m enjoying it”. :thinking:

Some of the posts, here, relate to re-reading of books. It’s not something I do: once I’ve read a book, that’s it! But there was one recent occasion that I did…….

As a lad in the early 1960s. I enjoyed Hammond Innes. So I re-read his Trojan Horse. It is one of those wince-making WW2 books, a genre I no longer enjoy.

Very excited about these for my own new year reading:

Has anybody read ‘I drink, therefore I am’ by Roger Scruton? It’s about his long history of drinking wine which began when he was a student. In particular, he focuses on France which he regards as a ‘second’ home. I liked his view that all you need to know about France can be learnt from a wine glass! And his reasoning is so clever.

But a word of advice. You also need an english dictionary handy as he uses long words!

Anyone else tried and failed to read The Glass Bead Game? I have enjoyed other books by Herman Hess but that one defeated me.

Yep, I’ve read it and it’s quite interesting. An enjoyable read.

I read it back in my hippy student days (seventies) and to be honest my recollection of it is a little misty. I read a lot of Herman Hess back then but not sure now whether it wasn’t just to impress the hippy girls! :blush:

We did Narcissus and Goldmund at school - a beautiful, lyrical book, and still one of my favourites!
Years later I read Steppenwolf and Siddhartha, which I enjoyed - but they didn’t leave the same deep impression as Narcissus and Goldmund did.

There used to be an excellent, well-renowned vegetarian restaurant called Siddhartha in Vienna on the Fleischmarkt of all places. Ah a quick google tells me it’s still there. Well worth a visit if you’re in the area.