01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Reading is not just for Christmas, but

books

Apparently Kim Jong il managed to finish it 5 times. So it is possible.

A very impressive man, he also managed in his first ever round of golf to finish 38 under par with 11 holes in one, if only we had a leader like that !

I originally got through War & Peace when the original TV series (the Anthony Hopkins one) was scheduled- did it by reading one episode’s worth at a time before the televised equivalent. On that basis I’ve just downloaded Les Misérables to Kindle in the hope of finally cracking it. (As far as W&P is concerned, it’s probably fairer to say that I read Peace & skipped over War.)

I rather like Frances Brody’s Kate Shackleton series. Set 1920s and genuinely fulfil the “good read” description.

Totally agree that Christmas is a great time for reading, my list to Santa was all books! I’m re-reading one of my favourites at the moment:

Where’d you go Bernadette? – very funny take on the pace of the modern tech driven world and and bit of a mediation on mental health and artistic genius.

Of the Christmas ones I’m looking forward to:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon – I missed this one when it first came out, meant to be a cracker.

The cabaret of plants – I’m a sucker for a good botany read, last year it was Lab Girl, looking forward to this one this year!

On war and peace, I loved it, thought it was superb, but it took a really long time to get through!

I know what my Christmas present will be because it has already arrived from Amazon. It is ‘1000 years of annoying the French’ by Stephen Clarke. Could be fun!

I have two weeks off:

It’s possible these may not be enough…

Have just ordered the first Maisie Dobbs! Should arrive just in time for Christmas. Thanks for the recommendation :+1:

I did the same a couple of years ago, after decades of building myself up to that point. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mind you, I happily watched the BBC’s adaptation of W&P too so I might still get around to reading it one day.

I really wasn’t sure what to expect when I tackled this one, I think I read it back to back with The Catcher in the Rye and emerged with a much more cynical view of American culture than before I started.

I have read about 60% and struggling a bit, not my usual type of read. Catch 22 is the next on the list.

I’ve started out on his 44 Scotland Street series. Not being very familiar with Edinburgh I found it very refreshing reading a series based there. His character observations are very good and, yes, he can be very funny.

I have not read any of his books, but that is the series that my wife is currently reading and enjoying.

As you might be able to tell, I’ve been making an effort to catch up on ‘must read’ books too!

For me a real page turner - I didn’t want to put it down. Very thought provoking too, as befits its reputation.

Thoroughly enjoyed Catch 22. Confession time- I’ve started Moby Dick three times and failed to get beyond page 100. Probably the only book I’ve failed to finish.

Moby Dick is on my list so that does not bode well. :sweat_smile:

I also found Moby Dick an incredibly tedious book. Same with Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea. I just couldn’t get into either, and never finished them.
My least favourite ‘classic’ book of all times though is Nostromo, by Joseph Conrad. I was tempted to fling it off Beachy Head a number of times (sorry, Prof. Watts!!)… :grimacing:

Ah number 74 on my list, oh dear.

I love Hemingway. Old man in the sea is only about 50 pages! Failing to finish it is an achievement in itself!

And the*. Old man in the sea is way sadder