01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Ramblings on cheese

Some favourite British (and Irish) cheeses of mine (other than those you mention) are:

Beenleigh blue
Sparkenhoe Leicester (this has seemed on consistently top form for the last couple of years)
Durrus

I’m sure that there are also plenty of people making cheese not distributed by Neal’s Yard that I wouldn’t have come across. In fact I’ve just noticed that https://whitelake.co.uk/ have started selling online (I’ve only really come across them at markets with the exception of Rachel in a few shops, but they make some pretty good cheese).

2 Likes

Tasty Lancashire! Yes, one of my all-time favourites along with white Stilton, Comte, Crottin de Chavignol in a lovely Salade de Chèvre Chaud and Feta in a Greek salad :yum:

2 Likes

Neals yard booked up for delivery now…

My local cheesemaker…comments above on two or three of them.

3 Likes

My favourite British cheeses:

3 Likes

One of the things I miss in the current situation is being able to have a taste at our local cheesemongers, it’s amazing how much something like Mull Cheddar changes with the seasons. I’d give a shout out to Hebredian Blue and Lanark White (if it’s still available, I think there were some issues a couple of years back). I’ve also got a bit of Cashel Blue on the go at the moment (though it seems to have reduced in size every time I open the fridge). My absolute favourite has to be a well ripened Epoisses though, especially when it’s practically collapsing in on itself. Definitely needs some airtight Tupperware mind you, you can smell it a mile off when it hits that stage.

Does anyone have any interesting cheese and wine pairings? I tend to stick with port as I usually have a full board, but it can tend to overwhelm some more subtle cheeses.

2 Likes

Is that Mellis cheesemonger? Presumably open again now?

Hebridean Blue is good, tried it for first time as part of a cheese box I got for my birthday in the summer.

Are you thinking of Lanark Blue? I find it a bit sharp at times? Didn’t know they had a white one…

Epoisses - yes love it, and Alsace Gewurztraminer is the match for it…

1 Like

Whenever I visit friends in Beverley they have some of this on hand, from the Saturday market. Delicious.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve been a loyal Mellis fan for the 14 years I’ve been in Glasgow! They have been open pretty much throughout (cheese is clearly essential!) although plans for a tasting room have been put on hold.

Yes, same producer as Lanark blue (which I agree can be a bit much), looks like it’s only produced in the summer months, definitely worth looking out for.

Thanks for the tip on the pairing, will give that a go!

I may have to make a clandestine visit, as they aren’t doing any more deliveries pre Xmas it seems…Dunlop Dairy is great, but clearly a fairly limited range of their own cheese (very well priced too!).

I haven’t been in the Glasgow branch of Mellis for a couple of years or so now.

1 Like

If you need any further persuasion there’s also an independent wine and beer shop across the road now

[https://www.valhallasgoat.com/] (https://www.valhallasgoat.com/)

1 Like

I can eat exotic cheeses but I quite Like Cheddar.
I know you can pay a lot of money for cheese thats been matured in various ways for x length of time and had all sorts extra ingredients.
I like a piece of mild cheddar from Sainsburys costing £1.50 with bread butter and raw onion. I dont give a toss if someone thinks thats second rate. At the end of the day it comes down to personal taste.

5 Likes

As a resident of Somerset I’ve got to give a shout out to any of the great local cheddars, washed down with some cloudy local gut rot cider. Proper authentic local cuisine :yum:

Stinkiest cheese I’ve ever come across is from round here - Renegade Monk. The only cheese I eat with knife and fork due to the difficulty washing the smell off my hands. Partner refuses to let me store it in the house.

5 Likes

Puant de Lille or Puant Macere would give it a run (probably literally) for its money…it’s the only cheese I’ve had which I’ve not eaten I think. Bit like Maroilles but stronger and more pungent.

2 Likes

Not come across those, but the clue’s in the name, I guess…

You’re right about the gewurz pairing - just as with Alsace’s own entry to the stinky cheese competition, Munster.

2 Likes

I had it once, in a restaurant either in Amiens or Laon, over 30 years ago. The memory is still etched on my palate, and not in a good way…fortunately it was a very small piece and there were another three very good cheeses. The waitress was neither surprised nor offended when I left it!

Yes, Munster is of course the local match…

1 Like

Even the cows are proud? How do they know :wink:

1 Like

I’ve had some great cheese gifts from the Cheese Society. Local to me in Lincolnshire.

When we lived in the Cotswolds my favourite source of cheese was:-

They now do an excellent on-line service.

We are a few minutes away in the car from both Long Clawson and Cropwell Bishop so spoilt for Stilton! However I think Cote Hill Blue (made in Lincolnshire) takes some beating :-

1 Like

They live in Yorkshire - they must be proud!

1 Like

I used to have a cheese society cheese of the month subscription, which was great.

Cancelled due to moving to having too many good cheese shops within walking distance rather than because of anything wrong with them.

1 Like