01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Raising a glass....... To Alan AKA @onlyawino

Firstly, I’ve struggled to find an appropriate category to put this under, but I’ve settled on “good times” as this community is the embodiment of good vibes encouraging each other to share in our passion for good wine, food and travel .
The contributions from individuals on here make us feel we know each other and I believe in ways we do. We see what each other have for dinner, where we travel to and look at pictures from each others holidays. This truly is my favourite place to come outside of the comfort of my own home.
Having said all this, because of the very nature of this platform is comes as a shock and a surprise when we lose one of our valued and most interesting members.
I am extremely sorry and saddened to inform you all that Alan (@onlyawino) sadly passed away from cancer a few weeks back and his funeral was held last week.
I knew Alan wasn’t well and had been in contact with him on email for a while. Unfortunately the last correspondence I had from him was in December when he was placed in palliative care.
I would like to hope that he didn’t suffer and got to spend enough time with his family at the end.
I will miss his wonderful and quite often whacky contributions to the community, so if you would like, tonight I would ask you all to raise a glass to Alan.
Thank you.
Leah

Well said Leah. Sad times.

Oh, how sad, I’ll miss his comments too.

If anyone feels inclined, the obituary mentioned Prostate Cancer UK for donations.

Maybe i sholuuld get a bottle of Tanqueray for a toast :slight_smile:

Oh, this is such sad news, @Leah! :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

I, too, had some direct messages with him on several occasions, and I knew he wasn’t well - but I didn’t realise just quite how bad this was. He had a way of downplaying it - and instead blamed his ‘Black Dog’ for his regular ‘disappearances’ from the forum.

I will really miss his whacky (as you say) contributions!

As Tom might raise a glass of Tanqueray, I’ll get a bottle of his favourite Minervois, and raise a glass in his memory! :wine_glass:

Alan was one of the originals and helped make this Community what it is today.

He was funny, informative, and clearly loved wine a lot - and he contributed a huge amount to people here, myself included.

I tried a few of his Aldi wine recommendations and thought he was spot on with his suggestions, so I’ll try to raise a glass of the Aldi Cotes du Rhone he introduced me to. :heart:

I’ll keep his family in my thoughts at such a sad time.

Many thanks for letting us know - that’s very sad news.

Very sad news indeed. My sincere condolences to all who knew him. It’s only right that we all raise a glass to his memory. His ‘austerity’ posts always made me laugh so I’ll use that as a basis for my toast.

Thanks to @leah for posting as it can’t have been easy.

Sad news indeed. I will raise glass to Alan this evening.

I always found his comments entertaining, sad to lose someone who clearly had a lot to give and who loved his wine.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.

Very sorry to hear this news, will raise a glass to him too.

Thank you for telling us. Sad news: his comments were always to the point and stimulated thought (and purchases).

Thanks for posting Leah.
And you’re spot on with this observation too…

The contributions from individuals on here make us feel we know each other and I believe in ways we do. We see what each other have for dinner, where we travel to and look at pictures from each others holidays. This truly is my favourite place to come outside of the comfort of my own home.

Sad news indeed and I can only concur with @leah and her three sentences illuminated by @profavi - such truth and shared community. I hope it might be possible for @Leah or @Laura could pass on our thoughts to his family.

And at the weekend, I shall have a go at this…

Obviously with a glass of French red to hand!

His pithy and witty contributions will be missed as will he.

I share his love of Ch St Eulalie and will think of him when I open my next bottle.

Would second the suggestion to pass on the thoughts of this community to his family.

What very sad news.

I’ve just returned today from an extended trip abroad, and this was the first thing I read here. Sad news indeed. But thank you, Leah, for your generous words in letting us all know.

Good excuse to raise a glass… and maybe book in for a PSA check… (at what age are these recommend, anyone know?).

no screening programme in the UK ! All based on family history and risk…very interesting piece on Jeremy Vine (BBC R2) yesterday from the resident Dr

I think that there was also an issue with false positive too?

False positives and false negatives !! If you have any symptoms of an enlarged prostate eg your urine flow being poorer than what it was, make an appointment to see your GP. Statistically speaking, the reason will probably be due to benign enlargement of your prostate, but your GP will be able to check.