01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Question re Wine as Hand Luggage

Quick query re taking wine through airport security as hand luggage when bought-in-country (cf. wine bought duty free after airport security) - is one still allowed to bring wine as hand luggage thru airport security, does anyone know?

There’s a limit on liquids since 2018, but TUI’s guidelines aren’t clear on whether wine falls under these rules.

I grabbed a Xin rose & an Assyrtiko this arvo but wife has pointed out I may have been a fule :flushed:

I thought in Europe you can’t take containers of liquids over 100mls?

1 Like

Link

1 Like

Thank you - or not really! - Radders.

Absolutely not.

But you don’t necessarily have to resort to “duty free”. On Madeira you could buy wine from Blandy’s lodge vast range of vintages, and collect from their shop on the other side of security. Not sure if they still do it. Neither do I know why the idea has not caught on elsewhere.

1 Like

Thanks Steve. I can’t believe I didn’t tune into this before I grabbed the two bottles today. Sod’s Law too as I’d decided not to buy anything this trip, but found myself killing time while wife went to get something, and I noticed a fine shop across the road from where I had, by pure chance, parked up to wait for her.

I’m going to crack one open shortly and leave the other at this place with some vague understanding we’ll be back for it in the future, Terminator style

2 Likes

No checked baggage option? Or would the cost of that outweigh the value of the wine?

Adding a 20kg checked-in bag (as I often do) for the return sometimes makes sense. Ryanair will charge £45, for example. 12 bottles with those inflatable plastic protectors usually comes under that weight if you avoid those Jancis-admonished naughty heavy ones. That will add under £4 per bottle - often worth it; either for the lower price you’ll be paying at a cellar door, or moot if the bottle is unavailable in the UK anyway. The allowance these days is 24 botts / 18 litres wine per traveller.

I usually don’t use a second travel case, but during my trip I will obtain 2 x cardboard wine cases; one to fit in the other, and take the uninflated protectors in my main luggage on the outbound leg. I also take a roll of sturdy gaffer tape to reinforce the corners and seal the top, and some heavy duty string or baler twine so the case can be lifted easily.

The case can be checked in and I have never had one declined; they often direct you to the outsize area, but invariably it appears on the regular carousel on arrival.

Over 20 years of doing this I have had 2 x breakages, both from handlers at US airports.

You can sometimes buy those bespoke cardboard cases with integral expanded polystyrene bottle shaped recesses which are quite nice, but those inflatable covers are fine.

3 Likes

Is that an airline limitation? The legal limit is 18 litres, isn’t it?

1 Like

Apols. yes it’s 18 litres / 24 bottles. I mis-read the regs I’d just checked to make sure I was right !!

Doh…

It’s just as well we don’t still have 73cl bottles, the arithmetic would be much harder!

1 Like

We’re deliberately travelling light is the thing, so we could avoid queues for luggage etc and can get home quickly tonight after touchdown at midnight. Early doors work for both of us & school for sonshine tomorrow.

My stupid eejut fault for not thinking clearly.

Just a comment - it seems that this queues, delays and cancellations issue is not ubiquitous. Stansted seems not to be afflicted (no Qs at passport or delays at the carousel last week, No signifiant Qs at security on outward passengers last Friday), and Ryanair has not yet cancelled a single flight. Seems bad news always gets the headlines.

2 Likes

Hasn’t been possible to do this for twenty years now!

Apparently there is now the technology to allow it, but very few airports have it. And naturally there isn’t much motivation to introduce it!

Not thinking so much of media-focused stuff TBH. Just the speed & easiness of travelling with hand luggage only. If the flight was earlier back to Luton and no work / school tomorrow, different story

We never did have 73cl bottles.

But supposing we did, the arithmetic gives an extra 2cl per bottle, so with an allowance of 18 bottles that give us 2 x18 = 36cl. So not even a half bottle more .

@SteveSlatcher has a different recollection, with records in support. But my post was only a light-hearted reflection on the rather odd choice of bottle capacities years ago.

Apparently 73cl is an amount equivalent to a man’s lung capacity, or a fifth of a gallon.

The history of wine bottle size - Entre Vinos y Pagos %.

Who knew?!

The law in the UK stated that goods had to be a minimum of what was stated on the label. That law dated back centuries when there were serious penalties for short changing the public The same law, or maybe another one on the same lines, stated that unlabelled breads had to se a minimum of one pound weight, hence the cottage loaf which has a knob of dough on top the make certain is was above one pound weight and the ‘bakers dozen’, i.e. 13 rolls.

75cl bottles were labelled for the UK market as 73cl, 70cl bottles labelled as 68cl etc

There was a growing trend to using 70cl bottles as they looked the same size on shelves but could be sold for less, making them seem more competitive.

The Common Market swept that aside, stating that the label stated the size of the bottle at first, then standardising on 75cl as the wine bottle size.

Some producers might still be concerned about this. On Saturday at Lord’s I opened what must have been an over-filled bottle of red, and the withdrawal of the cork (with a steady hand) brought with it a good dollop of wine all over my trousers.
I don’t think it’s ever happened to me before. I’ll be more careful in future.