01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Puy Lentil Salad

recipe

I tend to purchase the already cooked lentils for this recipe as I don’t want a large quantity and want to put it together quite quickly.

• 1 (or 2) packets of Puy lentils (already cooked)
    • Pop in microwave according to instructions- usually around 45 secs or so.
  • Empty into a bowl, add
    • 1 small red onion finely sliced
    • Handful of chopped herbs, I primarily use parsley and chives
    • Sliced jarred red and yellow bell peppers
    • Chopped artichokes
    • Olives
    • Sundried tomatoes
    • Jarred chopped aubergines
    • Chopped fresh baby tomatoes
    • Crumbled feta cheese and mix all together.

I don’t use a dressing as I find the oil from the jarred antipasti is enough.

This goes great with summer dishes and/ or fish.
Enjoy

Rabbit food and wine
Recipes for wine lovers - WIKI

Lovely. Will definitely try it out.
PS does anyone know where to find dried Puy lentils or just any French lentils? (Not split lentils sold in all supermarkets.) We have resorted to bringing packs of them back from French holidays and they weigh less than wine!

Moi Aussi!! :raising_hand_man:

I’ve found them in Waitrose before but you’re right - they’re not easy to pin down!

How about these: https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/organic-green-speckled-lentils-french-style-1kg.html

I saw them in Sainsbury’s the other day.

Dried ?? That’s great :slightly_smiling_face:

No definitely cooked.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/merchant-gourmet-puy-lentils-250g

Morrisons and Tesco used to stock dried ones and stopped…they still stock green ‘continental’ ones, but they are NOT the proper little slaty Puy ones that hold their shape and texture.

Seem to have been replaced by pre cooked which are not the same in my view. Either that or crowded out by the quinoa fascists :wink:

Health food shops maybe? Or a decent deli?

Yes these are the ones I purchase but I think @RichardN was looking for were dried ones .

Oops. Waitrose sell them dried, which is not great if you are up North in a Waitrose free zone. Maybe Booths will sell them?

Apparently the variety used in Puy is also grown in England, though as yet you can only buy it in packs of mixed English lentils. Unless anyone has seen otherwise?

Thanks Mike, I think those ones you found are what I am looking for, thanks!
Here’s my photo of before and after cooking. Once cooked the price is about €1 for 1kg of cooked lentils. Whereas Waitrose, bless them, charge £8 per kg!

I would pair puy lentils with duck confit (tinned, I bring them back from France) and a Mourvedre heavy Beaucastel Coudoulet, failing that a CDR from Mas du Libian if I’m being stingy, midweek! lol
Yum! :laughing:

Thanks for all the tips…just found the dried Puy lentils ones in Sainsbury’s online https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/merchant-gourmet-puy-lentils-500g

500g dried makes about 2kg of cooked lentils so much better value than the same brand, but ready to eat ones from Waitrose.

Since they are from Puy, they are apparently just that it better than Green speckled French lentils!

Booths Supermarkets…Lancashire, Cheshire, Cumbria and N.Yorks…usually carry a good range of French lentils and pulses.
I would think its the sort of thing that Waitrose stocked…

I’ve got a few cans of French Duck Cassoulet and I thought that puy lentils might do well with it?!?
I took the easier option of the “Gourmet” brand for £2 which are microwavable.
Just a thought!:grinning:

This is exactly what I use . Tescos sell them for slightly less than Asda :joy: