01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Pouilly Fuissé

Along with a number of friends, we purchased a vineyard and property in Vergisson 14 years ago, this being one of the five Maconnais villages whose wine can be given the name Pouilly Fuissé. Last week, we were there doing much delayed spring cleaning. We encountered a great deal of excitement in the region following the long delayed approval of Premier Crus status for Pouilly Fuissé. Some of this excellent wine will, from this year’s 2020 vintage, carry the enhanced appellation. Disappointingly, our grapes are not in the 22 climats selected, though our Vergécosse Pouilly Fuissé, made by the renowned Roger Saumaize, is undoubtedly the equal of those fortunate to have been included. C’est la vie! Roger does have four of his parcels from within the designated climats.
Michel Burrier, the President of the Union des Producers de Pouilly Fuissé, based in Fuissé, has fought for years for this award. His marvellous Chateau de Beauregard wines feature annually in the Wine Society’s Burgundy selection.
It is not often that new appellations are created, so Burrier and all involved in Pouilly Fuissé prduction deserve a huge amount of praise.
Maconnais wines are perhaps no longer the poor cousins of their illustrious neighbours further north.

16 Likes

Interesting, thanks. I went looking to find a little more detail on the climats and producers included in the new classification and this article (with map) helped me…

Will be interesting to see how this affects pricing of wines not previously labelled as premiere cru moving forward.

3 Likes

Thanks for the article. I agree re pricing. It will certainly be advantageous to have the appellation. Our man Roger Saumaize produces five different Pouilly Fuisses with slight variation in price, interestingly, being roughly in line with the climats associated with the premier cru. Am sure he and others will feel that the label will make a difference.

2 Likes

What I know about White Burgundy can be laser etched onto the head of a pin, with plenty of room left over for “War & Peace!!” :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Like many, I have been guided by @Toby.Morrhall with my selections.
It is pleasing that Pouilly Fuisse is clambering up the Burgundian status pole, and Michel Burrier in particular. Although I have not tasted these wines as yet, this article causes no little optimism as to what pleasures lies before me and other fortunate members.

At the Society, we are particularly fortunate to have access to this cuvee. Normally only 250 cases produced which is tiny in the scheme of Burgundy!! I can hardly wait, but having bought a little Hermitage Rouge over the years, I have learnt the benefit of patience, no matter how large :open_mouth: my reserves bill is!! :+1:: :clap: :wink: :dragon:

2 Likes

Wow! An opportunity of a lifetime buying a vineyard in Burgundy. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your rewards.

I guess you are in Bristol, as am I. You might like to come and see my attempt at creating Burgundy overlooking the Suspension Bridge. Six years ago, I planted 110 chardonnay vines, with Burgundian-style trellising etc in the garden (against all advice). In 2018 we obtained around 120 bottles of pretty decent wine. Last year, along with others who have chardonnay vines in the South West, we got nothing, being victims of mildew. Who would be dependent on wine production for a living! This year, fingers are crossed for a decent harvest. Who would

7 Likes

I us3d to live in Bristol but now live in Cornwall. Otherwise I would have loved to come and look at your vines. Good luck.

1 Like

I am now in quarantine, having returned from France on saturday. It was worth it, as we were at our place in Vergisson just as the vendange was coming to a close. All lovers of white Burgundy will be delighted to know that this year looks like being terrific on all fronts- The weather stayed warm and dry, with none of the dreaded hail storms to ruin months of hard work. The yield everywhere seems very good, so in theory, a lot of wine of high quality should mean happy customers.
I have previously posted about the Premier Cru appellation which some climats of Pouilly Fuissé will be able to apply for the first time this year. Our viticulteur, Roger Saumaize, was not concerned about the possible increase in price of his designated cru wines. The long awaited recognition of Pouilly Fuissé as a wine comparable with Meursault et al is what interests him more. He says that in the 19th century, P F was regarded as being on a par, but for over a hundred years it has not been recognised as such. He and other producers feel better now!!

10 Likes

he is not indeed, but we (the customers) are!! :grimacing:

4 Likes

In writing that he was not interested, I meant that he does not think it will have a big effect. He certainly will not be deliberately putting up the prices of his premier cru P F’s as opposed to those that do not have the status. He produces 8 different P F’s, 4 of which are from Premier Cru climats.
It will be very interesting to see what does happen in the next few years. They would be silly to get too greedy!

2 Likes