01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Potato Latkes Recipe

recipe

Tomorrow we light the first candle of Hanukkah, a week-long celebration in which we are encouraged to eat fatty things. This religion does not support dainty waist-lines. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Traditionally, after lighting the candles we used to tuck into freshly made doughnuts, but as I hate the stuff, I veer towards the Eastern European alternative of Latkes. These are made from potatoes- Rösti in all but name.

Here’s our family version:

Potato Latkes

Makes 12-16 Latkes (depends on how big you like them)

Ingredients:

450gr potatoes (ideally waxy ones)
1 finely chopped onion
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp salt
Oil for shallow frying

Method:

• Peel the potatoes and grate them (coarsely), transferring to a large bowl of cold water as you grate them

• Soak them for 1-2 minutes after you finished grating them, then drain well in a colander

• Lay the potatoes on a clean tea towel (or muslin, if you have one), then squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer to a bowl

• Add the salt and egg and mix well

• Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan to a moderately high heat, until it’s hot – but not smoking. Work in batches of 4, so you don’t overcrowd the pan, spoon 2 tablespoons (roughly) per latke into the pan, flattening them slightly with a fork.

• Reduce the heat to moderate, then cook until its underside is browning nicely (about 5 minutes); turn and do the same with the other side.

• Transfer onto a paper towel to drain, and season with salt

If you made them in advance – simply warm them in an oven at about 150 degrees for about 5 minutes.

As for a wine match - sparkling is probably the best, to cut through the fat.

Enjoy! :grin: :clinking_glasses:

Very good, @Inbar.

That’s pretty much how we make them. Not that I’m Jewish, I simply like them once in a while!

Purely out of interest, would it be traditional to eat them as a dish on its own, or with some form of accompaniment?

Don’t get me drooling, salt beef etc…they are usually a side dish or on their own, but…onion seasoning Inbar ?

Pretty much! The tradition is to light the candles, then tuck into them (or the doughnuts, or other fried goodies - my Yemeni grandma used to make a sweet version of Latkes)- I guess as a sort of ‘starter’, then you just have your dinner afterwards - if you have any appetite left, that is!!

Luuurve latkes, haven’t had em in years! Thanks for the recipe, they might make an appearance.

Do you take yours with sour cream, apple sauce or something else @Inbar?

Occasionally sour cream, yes - but most commonly just as they are.
A couple times I did dip them in mango chutney, mind you, in the spirit of multiculturalism! :wink:

Ah, I know these as Reibekuchen!

Used to have them at this time of the year in Bonn, always with apple sauce, never knowing quite where to put the mug of Glühwein while eating them.

I’ve not long had lunch but reading this is making me hungry…!

Indeed! They are one and the same - and exactly what the Swiss call rösti. I guess it came over to Israel with the German Jews, and thank god it did! :blush:

The Middle Eastern/Sephardic side of my family made my favourite treats though, which were sweet dough balls. I never got the recipe from my grandma, but it’s pretty much like the one on this website: https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/levivot-with-sweet-syrup/

Salivating too!.. :grimacing:

I make them pretty much as you do in the first post, but with one difference. Instead of eliminating the potato juice and starch, I add matzoh meal to soak it up. Just a couple of table spoons, whatever it takes. We eat them with apple sauce. Yumm!

I had a similar dish in Krakow recently served with thick sour cream, finely chopped red onion and caviar.

Ah! That’s new on me! I’m definitely going to give this a go :+1::+1:

It seems odd to eliminate one binder (starch, through soaking) and then replace it with another - egg. Not how a rösti is usually made, although I appreciate there are many variations.

I agree! But us Jews are a bit odd :wink:

I think you should an article on Jewish food, as you know I have rather tenuous Jewish family connections, and spent much of my ealy life living not far from Stamford Hill in London a Jewish orthodox community with all the attendant shops wonderful bakeries and the best salt beef bar in London.
As well as the salt beef and latkes, herring was very much on the menu and the Jewish grocers had barrels of them outside as well as gerkins.

and this dish I remember

and if I remember correctly, it was a long time ago, there were various open sandwiches with salt beef and corned beef and a potato boureks , is that right ?

there was much more but time has eradicated from my memory much of it, I am sure you could jog it.

Never had latkes, but when we were in Switzerland in the summer we spent the morning walking up the footpaths to lunchtime and then in a mountain cafe had a plate loaded with rosti topped with a fried egg,.
The egg yoke made a nice sauce.

|o accompany that we had a half litre bottle of local Fendant, crisp and dry. Lovely.

Fendant variety is better known elsewhere as Chasseles which doesn’t enjoy a high reputation, but the Swiss version was just tickety-boo.

I am not sure if there is a Jewish version of that Peter, but there are lots of variations mostly because different styles have evolved from the middle east and the eastern bloc countries, this web site shows a good selection of Jewish food, I am sure there are more.
Latkes also come served as a sweet dish with apple sauce and honey, but I am out of my depth here really, Inbar help !

Latkes came out good, as usual I made the mistake of making far too many!! We’ll be noshing on the cold later tonight. Also it turns out I didn’t have any matzoh meal, so I used rolled oats instead (worked just the same.)

Talking of Jewish holidays and yummy things, how about kosher wine? In Britain you have Carmel Palwin no. 10 (imported from Palestine/Israel since 1898, apparently…) while here in America we suffer with the almost undrinkable Mogen David and Manischevitz, both products of New York State, I believe.

According to Jancis Robinson, Israel has gone upmarket and now produces kosher wine for wine drinkers, but I still like the old fashioned Carmel wine - occasionally.

Photo a bit grainy, sorry! :blush:

Well, latkes lasted about 10 seconds (unlike you, @_robin, I made far too little!) and the three of us had some Cremant du Jura with it, which worked perfectly!

@cerberus, you’re right that you can eat latkes with different accompaniments; I think it’s influenced by where the Jewish community came from. Those from Germany tend to eat it with apple sauce, those from East Europe - sour cream. In Israel we tend to eat them with no sauce, or maybe that’s just my family.

The Sephardic Jews tend to make sweet versions, which are more like dough balls - I guess potatoes were more prevalent in the East European cuisine than in, say, Egypt or Yemen or Morocco. Ultimately Jewish cuisine is very much informed by its host culture cuisine. It’s what makes modern Israeli food so innovative and interesting, as a fusion of flavours makes for some interesting combinations.

My Mum was Swiss and Rosti (rushti, in her Swiss -German) were a staple in our house.

Nothing new under the sun!!:grinning::wink:

Now that was one lucky house! :wink: