01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Pommery to Release the first SEW from an English vineyard owned by a Champagne House

Pommery was the first Champagne house to produce an English fizz, initially using grapes from Hampshire-based growers, and now from its own 30 hectares of vines in Hampshire.

and it’s in Majestic

[later edit] or not. Re-reading article I note it says the wine from their own vineyad will be released in 2023. Shucks.}

SEW = Sparkling English Wine

2 Likes

Yep I’ve had a bottle.
It’s OKay; it’s similar to Waitrose’s Leckford or Rathfinny’s brut; floral / yeasty /lemony/ dry; as good or better than a similarly priced Champers. But Nyetimber brut CC is much more nuanced and dimensional, I imagine that’s because their vines are much older so it’s only a matter time I guess for things to level up.

1 Like

Didn’t realise that. where are they sourcing the fruit from for the current offering ?

and more expensive :slight_smile:

I have a loyalty to Ridgeview who also have older vines.

1 Like

Not by much @ Waitrose currently. I know what I’d rather have !!

1 Like

Which of their wines do you rate highly? I was planning on trying the Blanc de Blancs when I’m down. there in a few weeks

I like the Ridgeview Blanc de Noir - it has a nice level of complexity and interest to it.

1 Like

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Hopefully you’ll be having a tasting so you can judge your favourite.

Like @rjsmall I prefer sparkling wines from the 3 Champagne varieties to be black grape dominant, so I prefer the Cavendish blend or the Blanc de Blanc - because there’s £20 difference, I go for the Cavendish most.

M&S’s Marksman is Ridgeview with a M&S label and I was mightily miffed to have missed them on massive discount recently.

@PHarvey - the article says, which is the extent of my knowledge

Pommery was the first Champagne house to produce an English fizz, initially using grapes from Hampshire-based growers.

And at Waitrose 25% off the Nyetimber is indeed cheaper than the Pommery at Majestic, but I’d rather a less expensive one from Camel Valley, Hush Heath or Chapel Down…

1 Like

I believe the Pommery vineyards are on the River Itchen, in a parcel between Raimes (very tasty) and The Grange (lovely pink, decent white). These two ‘startup’ ESW producers are doing very good things, IMO, so there is promise for Pommery’s English offering - and the fact that Pom invested in the land here also gives credibility to the others’ choice of place to grow!

Would it be possible for the various Champagne and Brit Fizz company’s to produce a sparkling wine that included a bit of each other’s wines and blended to produce a hybrid product that could leap the current restraints, this would seem to benefit all parties, I am wondering if we could easily see products like Champshire Gran cru or perhaps WinsterCham Gran Cru or Sussechagne Gran Cru, maybe a more northern variation of Ferrouchagne Gran Bru.

But where would you bottle it? Do you truck the English grapes to France, costing employment here? Or do you truck the French grapes to England, treating the French workers as badly? Conundrums abound.

7 Likes

Silly me thinking it’d just be easier getting rid of those constraints - like we used to have in the good old days of, ooh, about 6 months ago - and allowing goods to pass seamlessly across borders, giving the consumer a wide choice of quality products from the region of the world they live in. :smiley:

8 Likes

Silly Me I thought we had moved on, I thought it was all over. Any way I thought perhaps French bottles, half full with Champers delivered here and topped up with Brit fizz. For the UK market, then Uk bottles half full with fizz,delivered there and topped up with champers for the Euro market, should be quite seamless don’t you think. Hoping this might become a special AOC in time. Weekend Chimerics eh.

Now I know you’re taking the piss.

2 Likes

Just to return to the original wine - I was told that it was made using bought-in grapes from more than one source under contract at Hattingley Valley. Or in other words, it’s not rebranded Hattingley Valley fizz. HV have a substantial contract winemaking business.

I haven’t tried it, but most wines made by HV are in it for the long haul and tend to need several years in the cellar before unfolding. Which suits me fine, but may not be much good if you want to drink it here and now. Tastes in this matter vary, though.

Agree.

I think all traditional method sparklers are improved by aging, but Hattingley Valley, of which I bought six, was characterless on opening shortly after purchase. A second bottle opened just over 10 months later was much better. I think they’ll be even better in a year or two.

2 Likes

I don’t think much of the idea of a half Champagne -half English fizz, but following your theme, you could either take full bottle of fizz from one country and decant half into new bottle and top up with local fizz… but it couldn’t be labelled as traditional method.

So how about transporting the still base wine, blending it with the local still base wine and then initiating the second fermentation?

But I don’t see the point…

2 Likes

It could be labelled “Entente Cordial”, and the blend performed in the middle of the Irish sea maybe.

4 Likes

Just had another bottle brand idea Champaignton Gran Cru. That should catch on don’t you think.

The usual cakeism from Brexiteers.

7 Likes