01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Police pelted with wine

Just a thing…

1 Like

this, and the other wine theft stories, makes me think that there is a market for very expensive burgundy of dodgy provenance. How do you shift/launder £300K worth of stolen wine?

2 Likes

Ooo… I like your thinking. Covid and Trump conspiracy theories; no. unsubstantiated wine conspiracy theories; yes. I think it is a matter of the level of harm. And like you I did wonder about a place that was burgled twice in a few days…

3 Likes

And what were the grand crus exactly? €350,000 worth?? probably two bottles of Rousseau’s Chambertin at that value.

3 Likes

Makes me think of the great fun novel The Vintage Caper by Peter Mayle.

And then… despite being in hot pursuit on a main road… the French police lost them.

Whilst I’m all for mocking the French, and whilst I would also be in the first five people to be putting a “bottled it” message on the lead driver’s locker, in all seriousness I’d bet that the pursuit was “terminated” by a more senior officer in a control room.

Because if you’re doing 120mph and somebody launches a bottle of wine that hits your windscreen, you’re talking death or serious injury. For what? What immediate threat to they pose? Is it worth those officers’ lives? For the lives of other drivers on that road who get a bottle in their windscreen as collateral? Kidnap, murder, terrorism offences? Yeah, go on, authorised. Burglary when their DNA is on the scene / bottle / car? Nope.

1 Like

Aaah I LOVE the French :wink::+1:

1 Like

The general reason for gently mocking someone is because you’re secretly jealous…

5 Likes

Of how much less they have to spend on their best wines and cheeeeeesseeee …
oh but I didn’t particularly like my brothers ex-wife … & she was French … her sister however was lovely :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

Look, all I’m saying is that I’ve got a few cases of Puligny-Montrachet that fell off the back of the lorry, which I’m willing to sell for a very reasonable price.

I mean, sure, it’s a little car-sick, but it’ll drink fine.

7 Likes

I wasn’t sure where to post this article, and it’s not worth its own thread, but this seemed as good a home as any

Apologies if you can’t get through the paywall.

Story concerns a man in France who has built up a collection of 50,000 of the finest wines.
He’s proposing to charge €500 a pop to go and look at his ‘museum.’
Any takers?

5 Likes

He’s out of luck. I plan to undercut him by charging just €300 for people to check out the bottles in my garage.

7 Likes

Ha, for a fiver you can poke around my recycling bin.

5 Likes

I’m afraid I do this for free on my walks around Brighton… :grimacing:

4 Likes