01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Piedmont Masterclass 10 September

Anyone else lucky enough to get tickets to this?

I’m pretty excited, was highlighted by a friend and I immediately demanded my siblings purchase me a ticket for my birthday.

So gutted to miss this. Would have pounced on a ticket but will be in Doha so not even able to console myself with a glass of nebbiolo. Please post pics as you pour.

I’ll try and remember to. Suspect they won’t leave me in charge of the pouring!

Just had the list through, starting to feel like a dog who has been told it’s time for walkies!

Please report back, not least because I have some of the Baudana and Pio Cesare in reserves!

Yes, please let us know how it goes.

I would be a little concerned the ‘10s might be closed but it will be interesting to hear how they perform.

I tried a Baudana 10 a couple of months ago, and found it pretty shut down, but have read/heard others having better experiences.

Number 3 is star of the show so far. Very elegant Barbaresco, soft, luscious, long. Delicious

Number 6 is also absolutely fantastic. Slightly oxidative production techniques but delicious nonetheless and ready to drink

Nothing shut down so far, though some clearly made for a monstrous ageing period (number 7 I’m looking at you)

1. Langhe Nebbiolo, Cavallotto 2015 A junior Barolo in all but name, using nebbiolo grapes from Cavallotto’s great Castiglione Falletto vines. This has the fresh perfumed ‘attack’ of healthy fruit from a ripe vintage and full body to support it.

Full de-stemming of nebbiolo grapes from south-east, south and south-west facing slopes. Fermentation controlled at max 29C , maceration by semi-submerged cap tanks with punchdowns for 35 days . Cask aging for 15 months in large Slavonian oak casks. Drink now to 2021. 14.5% IT24641

1. Barbaresco, Castello di Verduno 2015 The Castello di Verduno is at the top of Verduno in Barolo country, and home to Gabriella Burlotto, where they have a hotel-restaurant and bottle cellar. She is married to Franco Bianco, whose family holdings are in Barbaresco, where the main winery is located under winemaker Mario Andron.

The grapes for this Barbaresco come from Rabajá bass and Faset and here produce a lovely, classy raspberry-scented bouquet and beautifully balanced palate. This wine will be good in its youth and will age well too. Drink now to 2023. 14.5% IT24831

1. Barbaresco, Bruno Rocca 2014 Bruno Rocca took charge of the family business when his father died in 1978, and quickly established himself as one of the finest Barbaresco producers, thanks in part to his vineyards on the prized hill of Rabajà. He now runs the estate with his daughter Luisa and son Francesco.

The grapes from this Barbaresco come from younger vines. Some of these are on sandier soil, giving a forward perfumed wine ready to drink on release. Lovely intense, perfumed wine with sweet fruit and finesse. Outstanding quality. Drink now to 2023. 14.5% IT24991
4. Barolo Cannubi GB Burlotto 2014 This the priciest of Burlottos single-vineyard Barolos and comes from the famous Cannubi vineyard near the town of Barolo, quite high on the slope facing east. The vineyards wines are famed for their bouquet and described as the ‘Chambolle Musigny of Barolo’. The 2014 vintage has a fragrant red fruit bouquet and gorgeous seductive flavour characteristic of this famous vineyard. Just 4,000 bottles were produced. Drink now to 2029. 14% IT14981

1. Gattinara, Torraccia del Piantavigna 2011 Ghemme and Gattinara are separated by less than 5 miles and the Sesia river, making for similar but distinct delights in the warm 2011 vintage. Fragrant and intense with lovely fullyet-vibrant and harmonious flavour. A delightful wine from a warm vintage which will be delicious for a good few years more. Drink now to 2022. 14% IT25081

2. Barolo Monprivato, Giuseppe Mascarello, 2011 In the warm 2011 vintage Mauro Mascarello’s Monprivato is already open and lovely to drink with the uniquely haunting bouquet of this premier cru vineyard. More forward than 2010 it would keep at least 20 plus years if desired, but why wait?

Beautiful and wholly original fragrant bouquet which is the hallmark of this famous site, owned uniquely by Mauro Mascarello, followed by seductive persistent palate. 2011 was a warm hot vintage picked 5/6 days in advance of usual. 36 months in botte. Drink now to 2030. 14% IT23391

1. Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis, Cavallotto 2011 A superb example of traditional Barolo from a great vineyard in a generous vintage, this is rich and generous with impressive depth of flavour. Sumptuous to drink now after five and half years in barrel, but it will last for decades yet.

Giusseppe, Alfio and their sister Laura have 23 hectares including a large chunk of Bricco Boschis, a marvelous conical hill in the next south south west facing fold of hills after Cannubi and Monprivato. Since 1970 the best fruit from the single-vineyard cru of Vigna San Giuseppe, the central part of the Bricco has been vinified and bottled separately as Riserva. Bricco Boschis cru falls along the border of the Langhian and Tortonian substrates and the vineyard shows an extraordinary mix of white, yellow and grey marls punctuated by layers of sand. Cultivated as a monopole by the Cavalloto family since 1928, Bricco Boschis yields wine of great body suitable for long cellaring, but with a sweet ripe tannic structure and aromas of great complexity and fullness. Drink now to 2050. 14.5% IT24651

1. Barolo Monprivato Giuseppe Mascarello 2010 Mauro Mascarello took over the family wine company and vineyards from his father Giuseppe with his first vintage in 1967. He is most famous for his legendary individual Barolo from the great 16-hectare Monprivato vineyard in Castiglione Falletto, which became his exclusively after a series of extra purhases in 1982, 1985, 1987 and 1990. This is a wine traditionally made using a significant proportion of the scented michet nebbiolo clone, which typically maintains a plateau of perfection from 7 to 25 years after the vintage. This vintage has a beautiful and wholly original fragrant bouquet which is the hallmark of this famous site, followed by seductive persistent palate. Unlike some vintages of the past, this is delicious to drink after five years, but has years ahead of it. Drink now to 2030. 14% IT19351

2. Barolo Baudana Luigi Baudana 2010 The Vajra family have bought their skills at producing wines of exceptional bouquet and gentle tannins to their recently acquired vines in Serralunga from the Luigi Baudana estate, now run by son, Giuseppe.

Baudana and Ceretto are their top wines and here we have a graceful Barolo of great class which will deserve and require ageing to show its full gamut of glorious aromas and flavours. A superb violet-scented bouquet, supported by full and seductive perfumed flavour and gentle tannin. Drink 2020 to 2030. 14% IT19161

1. Barolo Ornato, Pio Cesare 2010 The Pio Cesare family have been producing traditional Piedmontese wines in their ancient cellars in the centre of Alba for five generations. Ancient, because although the winemaking equipment is completely up to date, and the underground cellars fairly recently extended, the thick Roman walls are a clearly visible part. Founded in 1881 by Cesare Pio, the company is now led by his great grandson, Pio Boffa, assisted by his nephew Cesare Benvenuto.

Pio Cesare own more than 65 hectares of vineyards located in the most highly rated and better exposed areas. Within Barolo, they have Ornato and Colombaro in Serralunga, Gustava in Grinzane Cavour, Roncaglie in La Morra and Ravera in Barolo-Novello. Within Barbaresco they own Il Bricco and San Stefanetto in Treiso.

The 2010 Ornato is a serious single-vineyard Barolo of great quality and potential, built for long-term development. Ornato is in the commune of Serralunga, known for its robust, structured keeping wines. This has splendid depth of flavour and class, reminiscent of their classic 2004 vintage.

The vines are on limestone and clay, 5000 vines/ha, with a yield of 45 hl/ha. Fermented in stainless steel with skin contact for 15 days followed by aging 36 months 70% in new midtoasted French barriques, 30% in 25 hl casks. About 7500 bottles are made.

Drink 2020 to 2030. 14.5% IT18771

1. Barolo Cannubi, Luigi Einaudi 2008 Einaudi is based in Dogliani the home town of Luigi Einaudi, Italy’s first democratically elected president, who produced wine from the age of 23 with 12 hectares here in 1897. His grandson, Matteo Sardagna, the current owner now has 52 hectares of vines, with 8 hectares in Barolo, 2 ha in Monforte and 5 ha in Neive all of nebbiolo. The rest is in Dogliani and Farigliano. Since 1993 all the wine is made in the handsome cellars. The family house is now a bed and breakfast. The composer Lodovico Einaudi was Matteo’s cousin.

The best wines of Cannubi are famous for their fragrant bouquet, which this shows to perfection, supporting it with a voluptuous, full, velvety palate. Still improving and good for a decade more but memorably fine already. Drink 2020 to 2030. 14.5% NA

Full tasting notes above.

The 2010s were interesting. All very good, but my personal favourite was the Ornato from Pio Cesare. Massive, opulent and very heady.

I don’t remember as much about the 2008 Cannubi but I wasn’t as impressed by it as the 2010s.

However, the bottle of M&S Barolo on the train home was a mistake, in every sense.

Ending the evening ‘not with a bang, but with a whimper’…?

Never mind, sounds like you had a smashing evening and tasted some great wines! :+1:

Surely most of these wines are painfully young? And it being nebbiolo, I mean “painfully”!

Nothing painful at all. However, a lot of potential on show and Sebastian did say he felt like a bit of a baby killer when talking about the 2010s! There were three fantastic Italian cheeses to accompany the crackers, which really enhanced the wine. I learned that nebbiolo loves fat and the blue cheese from Piedmont was perfect.

There was much swirling of glasses, but apparently they’d been working for a few hours with decanters and other gadgets and the wines had been poured (into the massive glasses you see above) before we arrived.

I think they got it spot on, because the evolution in the glasses over the course of the evening was interesting and notable.

I was whimpering a little this morning, but yes a smashing evening.

Glad it was a good evening, and wines not too young. Have to say any Barolo or barbaresco I’ve had from this century made me wish I’d waited a bit longer. Hoping to get to the 01s soonish!

Thanks @suiko,

Wish I had that kind of cellar!

It would have been fantastic to show us the ageing potential first hand with a fully mature example, but apparently TWS simply don’t have any older Piedmont Nebbiolo.

ooooooh … I’ll bet somewhere in a darkened corner of a warehouse there is some Barolo sleeping quietly waiting for the right maturity to be released.:yum: