01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Penfolds offer

tws-offers

This looks comprehensive

Agreed, immoral is quite a statement. I’ve worked around Africa a fair bit and have spent time with people who have next to nothing and, worse than this, next to nothing together with pretty grim disabilities - these in countries that have no net to catch them. I suspect that some of these people, if they could even imagine such a thing in the first place, would find half a bottle of £10 wine in a pyrex jug pretty immoral too. So it’s all relative really. We all decide what we’ll spend on the finer things in life based on our circumstances.

Thanks @JayKay, that’s really useful, and quite an interesting read too. Cheers :wine_glass:

Surely £175 is ok though?

A person on a minimun weekly wage £8.21 per hour working 37 hours a week earns before deductions £303.77 . Over a million workers are getting that wage to pay everything rent food clothes etc . You would pay £175 .00, more than half that weekly wage ,on a bottle of wine. That is why i say it is immoral. Let people complain about me if they like.

You could say paying ten pounds is immoral if that ten pounds could be used for malaria nets and vaccinations for impoverished children.

I think your reponce is…

You sir, are an immoral beast. I bite my thumb at you.

Everyone has their own idea of where a bottle of wine, meal out etc becomes too expensive. We could argue all day and never agree.

We actually have now… :wink:

Its a bit academic most of us wont be buying Penfolds wines. It does raise a number of interesting thoughts . I have nothing against the wine society selling it. If there are people buying it and there must be that ads to the profits of the WS and therefore helps the rest of us. I wonder what sort of people buy penfolds wines? Footballers Lottery winners . I remember some years ago hearing about an incident in a browns bar in London. It was the managers birthday and he was sitting at a table with some friends . Suddenly a dozen bottles of best champagne arrived a gift from a customer. Later on this same customer paid for a free bar for everyone . The bill came to £5000.
People earning large bonuses . Anyone who has come in to a lot of spare cash. Maybe even people who have earned money by criminal activity or who have deposits in th cayman islands. When one starts to think about their are a lot of people who would be able to afford Penfolds wines.
But is the wine worth that . Could you get wines that are as good at a fraction of the price. I suspect you probably could. I can remember getting Penfolds wines in a Supermarket. Did they get that much better when they went upmarket. I doubt it.

• Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez agrees that “a system that allows billionaires to exist” is immoral. The freshman congresswoman made those comments at an event celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
  • She said it is “wrong” that billionaires can coexist in a country alongside “parts of Alabama where people are still getting ringworm because they don’t have access to public health.”
  • One of Ocasio-Cortez’s solutions to America’s wealth disparity is a 70 percent marginal tax rate, a policy proposal that has already made waves in Washington.
  • Ocasio-Cortez made the comments as many of the world’s billionaires were gathering for the start of the annual Davos economic confab in Switzerland amid concerns over economic uncertainty and rising populism.

My sentiments entirely

It was because i had quoted what Cormski else had written .
Quod erat demonstrandum…

I then gave the translation. However the badge is given on the first occasion that you quote a member writing on the same subject.