01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Pegasus Bay Riesling

Yes I’ve had the Polish Hills Riesling. Wasn’t a huge fan of that either.

There’s something special about riesling from Alsace/Germany/Austria that gets me. Have found an odd new world riesling that does it but it’s the exception rather than the rule.

3 Likes

That’s true not only for you, but for many people I know. In the beginning, it thought the Rieslings from Grosset lacked finesse, but I started to appreciate them more after trying under different settings. Tatomer’s are much more approachable, given that he trained in Austria, so they might appeal to you. Roberson’s carry them, I believe. Jancis Robinson used a Tatomer wine for her virtual FT Weekend Festival wine tasting this year!

https://www.robersonwine.com/buy-wines/kick-on-ranch-riesling-2015-tatomer-75-13TRKR15/

2 Likes

We tried the Tatomer Steinhugel Riesling last weekend as part of the FT tasting and instantly ordered more. Very pleasant. Jancis Robinson also did a shout out for the Tatomer Kick-on ranch Riesling.

https://www.robersonwine.com/buy-wines/steinhugel-riesling-2017-tatomer-75-13TRSH17/

2 Likes

It’s an amazing wine. I had the opportunity to spend an evening with Graham Tatomer when he last came to London and I can tell you that his Pinot Noir is just amazing (though expensive). And a great guy overall.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Yes, I had seen the Tatomer riesling and even added some to my basket but never pressed the button. I will give them a try at some point.

1 Like

I am really disappointed by this wine. Little acidity, just seems like a sweet mid-range riesling. I would never guess it has any bottle age in it.

1 Like

It really does lack the acidity it needs to cut through the residual sugar.

After my first bottle I decided that I couldn’t face 5 more bottles and sent them back to TWS.

I do think you can tell it’s aged though. It has the colour and richness of an aged riesling. That would be lacking in a younger wine.

Had a bottle last week. Then read the last two posts.

With a furrowed brow I had to open another bottle tonight.

Perfectly beautiful, like the first bottle. Not searing acidity, but enough to hold its own, touch of sweetness, long flavours. Very glad I got the case, although it won’t last long at this rate.

3 Likes

Problem is it’s sold by Roberson and they always charge over the top prices

Sign up for their mailing list and you will be alerted of any sales. I got some with 20 to 25% off, but I totally agree with you: their “rack” prices might be marked up a bit too much.