01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Pegasus Bay Riesling

Does anyone know anything about this wine? Another offer just received by email:

5 Likes

I’ve had the normal Riesling, which i think is the sane wine? I did DIY ageing, maybe 6 or 7 years rather than 10? It was nice enough but not really something I’d go out of my way to buy. But then - to blaspheme :smiley: - I’m not a huge Riesling fan as i dislike kerosene almost as much as i dislike oak!

1 Like

Never had it, but will give this a try. I’m a huge riesling fan, especially aged riesling, although normally focus on Alsace, Germany and Austria.

Most of the riesling I have wont be peaking for at least another 5 years and will go on for many years after that so getting a few bottles of this is worth a punt for me.

Bit more info here too

3 Likes

I’m a sucker for aged Riesling.

3 Likes

I had a bottle of their late-picked Aria Riesling (2014) just last week. Different product, but was very tasty, pudding sweet.

1 Like

Just ordered 3 bottles to give it a try. One for now, one for later and one for much later. NZ Riesling can be very nice.

2 Likes

It rang a faint bell, so I went on a trawl through my wine and put a bottle of the 2008 version in the fridge. Not sure I’ll open it until it (weather not wine) cools down a bit though.

1 Like

OOS! well that makes my decision for me anyway :joy:

OOS - blimey that was quick.

Blimey OOS already!

Thanks for the heads up @Jcmwooldridge. I never got that email so would have missed out if not for the Community!

2 Likes

Clearly TWS is doing a lot right marketing-wise. No way was this a must-buy, but it sold out anyway within a few hours of the email.

Not a “must buy” :smiley:

If you like aged NZ Riesling of course it was.

3 Likes

Maybe. But i’ve had another vintage of this wine, and I’d rate the TWS Exhibition Rheingau higher (and six quid cheaper :smiley:)

100% Agree. Took me all of 5 minutes to check cellar tracker and put a case into reserves. How often does an 11 year old NZ riesling, from an excellent winery, come along.

2 Likes

Pegasus Bay, which we visited last year (for lunch even) is an immaculately kept vineyard although we didn’t venture out among the vines. Riesling is a relatively new grape in South Island and although unless I find the receipt I can’t promise it was their Riesling we drank!

1 Like

Arrived this morning. Looking forward to cracking open the first bottle soon.

Makes a nice change to buy some wine ready for drinking as soon as it arrives! Most wine I have bought over the last few years is still in short trousers waiting to hit puberty.

4 Likes

That’s a lovely looking cabinet.

4 Likes

Lovely hardly does it justice.
Spectacular perhaps💚

5 Likes

Opened the first bottle of this tonight. First impressions were great the deep yellow colour promised a concentrated rich riesling and the smell was heady in the typical riesling petrol and citrus fruit.

However, on tasting it I wasn’t blown away. I’m a huge fan of Alsatian, German and Austrian riesling and this just didnt have that steely, mineral acidity that cuts through the richness and any residual sugar that those rieslings tend to have.

I enjoyed it, but I was expecting more and it isn’t something I’d buy again once the other 5 bottles are gone. I hope the Schloss Gobelsburg is going to be better and more of the style that I enjoy.

5 Likes

Have you tried Kick-On Ranch Riesling from Tatomer or Polish Hills Riesling from Grosset? You will find much variation depending on the producer and the region / country. Riesling can be made in made different styles, although with less variation than a grape such a Chardonnay (which is really a blank slate grape, so to speak).