01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Pedants' Corner

I rest my case! Where do you think arsed came from, it came from slovenly use of English that like other examples, have distressingly become common parlance. A downward spiral! to be fair :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I agree, the unconsciously lazy use of ‘so’ to preface a response really annoys me. I heard a thirtyish something being interviewed on the radio a while back and every single answer she gave was prefaced by ‘so’!

To me it sounds a bit condescending or patronising too. I have pulled up people answering me like that by saying that it isn’t a logical follow on to what I’ve just asked them!

Surely it’s Pedants’ corner Mike? :rofl: Unless of course you have a vision of yourself alone in the corner, or maybe we each have our own corner? In a multi roomed building clearly…

1 Like

I think it came from the ancient Anglo-Saxon word arse.

I can’t be arsed means (to me) I can’t be bothered enough to get off my arse.

I was going to empty the dishwasher this morning but I can’t be arsed.

I was going to walk around the park, but I can’t be arsed

It has a different meaning to I can’t be asked, which to me is the reply when asked to do something outside one’s skill set, or comfort level.

e.g.

I’m a concert pianist, I can’t be asked to lay bricks.

I’m the star of the show, I can’t be asked to share a dressing room.

I wonder if asked is a polite substitution for arsed, in the way that people say darn instead of damn.

5 Likes

“maybe we all have our own corner”

Better: we all have our own corners or we each have our own corner.

7 Likes

In which case it’s not a very good substitute as it means something quite different.

2 Likes

“Pedants’ corners” therefore?

2 Likes

Just make sure it’s not in the Oval Office then…

2 Likes

Just to note that my autocorrect originally changed pedants’ corner to pedant’s corner, which I didn’t notice until it was pointed out. For some reason the autocorrect is in my opinion somewhat over-active, and often changes things which are already correct. You really have to check everything carefully.

4 Likes

Your absolutely rite.
Most regularly seen on TWS members’ reviews is pallet, closely followed by palette.

I did warn of what might happen right at the beginning of this thread…

5 Likes

I’m not sure it’s as clear-cut as that. This thread and the two linked in it are quite wide-ranging and don’t come to that conclusion, though it’s not definite either way.

2 Likes

I am very much guilty of this one. Either that or I am hipster enough that I sit on them while I drink. Could go either way.

Yes, pallet makes me wince…have thought about saying why are you pouring the wine onto a wooden stand…?

That sounds a high risk strategy to me judging by the state of the wood on many…a skelf in the arse as might be said in these parts…

2 Likes

Speaking of irritating start of sentences - the one that irks me is ‘Basically…’.

So many times at work, if I ask a student ‘how can I help you’ - they’ll say ‘Basically, I’ve got… and I need…’. What’s the basically doing here? I don’t know. Looking for a home, I guess.
I notice quite a number of people do it on TV when interviewed, as well. So, basically, I really can’t be arsed with all this.

3 Likes

You’ll just have to go and improve your palate on a pallet somewhere. In one of the corners…

2 Likes

When I was a consultant I was sent to some “Personal Impact” training (which was, surprisingly, one of the best pieces of training I’ve ever done). What they said about this (and other verbal crutches) is that they’re giving us time to think before we actually start saying anything, or to give our brains a chance to catch up mid sentence. What we should do instead is really simple. Instead of saying the word before the comma, breathe.

6 Likes

A particular bugbear with me is the use of obviously especially when used by someone training, giving a lecture &etc.

If something really is obvious then it doesn’t need stating. It certainly doesn’t need obviously put in front

If the speaker says something is obvious, then anyone in the audience who didn’t know that thing it is made to feel stupid.

3 Likes

I thought obviously meant ‘I think but I don’t have any evidence’.

4 Likes

It’s obvious when you look at our government…

1 Like

It’s often used as a filler, especially by sportsmen. Stuart Broad rarely utters a sentence without it.