01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Pataille Marsannay Rouge

Would be interested if anyone has started on the 2015 edition of this wine. I have run out of the 2014 and now contemplating slowly starting the 2015 on the basis that I think some of the 2014 I have had too early. Any experience would be appreciated.

1 Like

@szaki1974

I haven’t started on my 2014 Pataille Marsannay as yet.
I didn’t buy the 2015 Marsannay but did the '15 Chapitre, which still lies untouched.
I did buy plenty of the 2013 which was gorgeous for the money.
I do note that the 2016 Pataille Marsannay is still available, at less than a pound more than I paid in the EP Offer, that must be quite the bargain. :open_mouth:
I have been incredibly impressed by Monsuir Pataille and ALL of his wines.
Toby (@Toby.Morrhall) did us all a huge service when he first listed the wines, regretfully they have inevitably got more expensive as the word has got out.
If you haven’t tasted the Marsannay, then please do.
It does get better with some extended cellaring.
And I have backed my judgement with 12 of the '2016 and 18 of the 2017 of the straight Marsannay and some better cuvees.
Yes, I am a fan :clap: :+1: :dragon:

4 Likes

I got the '16 en primeur and have had two bottles around a year/9 months apart.

The first was full of expression really enjoyable a strong tang to it and buckets of cherry pip. Concentrated but not heavy.

The second, (a few months ago) didn’t have the vigour of the first and although decent didn’t have the same va va voom. I am going to leave the remaining 4 bottles another year and have another go.

Hope this helps a bit.

5 Likes

Thank you. I think I’ve only had his Aligote, which is also excellent.

2 Likes

Just finished my stash of 2013 which was excellent. It could have certainly been left for a while longer though.

1 Like

I think that as with many burgundies, there are two phases here, as noted above. I’ve drunk about half of the 2014s, first two or three were really fruit forward, in a bitter cherry way, last one was more secondary/tertiary - I was surprised how much it had changed in a year. Good that neither were in a ‘dumb’ phase.

I have just had the 2016s delivered from bond, won’t be trying them just yet.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve loved my 2014s so far, but I’m gonna hold back the last three for a few more years (if I can!) just to see what happens to them.

2 Likes

My guess is that they may be drunk? Possibly before ‘a few more years’ too… :smile:

3 Likes

It’s that ‘come hither’ look they give me every time I go into the garage :laughing:

3 Likes

I wanted to spread my 2016 marsannay rouge over a few years, but as they were delicious, I did not resist. I find they drink extremely well in their youth
Will put that theory to test with the 2017s (3 of them incoming this week)

4 Likes

Had some red St Aubin from 2015 from a different producer, from the half bottle… Feeling like it’s closing down, lost its youth but I’d expect it to need at least five years to open up again. But who knows. This is what I’d expect from 2015 Burgundy though. I wouldn’t expect five year old Burgundy to drink terribly well. I like mature Burgundy though.

1 Like