01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Parkinsons and Wine

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease - not the best news! The thing that worries me most is that there is a high chance I will lose my sense of smell, which will significantly if not totally remove my enjoyment of wine.

Does anyone have experience of enjoying wine without a sense of smell?

4 Likes

If it is any help to have the information second-hand my father lost his sense of smell some years ago as the result of a head injury and still enjoys wine or at least appears to enjoy it no less or more than he did before.

3 Likes

I have a terrible sense of smell at the moment. I don’t know when it happened, but it went slowly and I now have very little. I know that when my wee one was young, and I was changing her nappies, I still had a good sense of smell. Maybe too good. :roll_eyes: I now have little. I still enjoy food, still enjoy wine. It is probably dulled, but I can still seem to tell (by A/B testing) if a bottle is ‘off’. Though thankly I’ve had very few off bottles, thank goodness. I believe one can train one’s sense of smell and please be careful to be deterministic. We are changing our models of the brain quite a lot and learning that connections can be built again (neuroplasticity). Really, I’m no expert but I know there’s still a lot unknown about the brain.

Certainly, a lack of the sense of smell isn’t help enjoy me cheap supermarket plonk any more - the Wine Society has ruined me! :grin:

7 Likes