01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Opened a bottle early by mistake

On Saturday I opened a bottle of Spatburgunder 2017 for the evening meal. I then found that we already had a bottle open for that meal so i put the Spatburgunder in the fridge. We had half of it with our sunday lunch . The other half we had with our meal this evening , It had been open for 51 hours . I think if anything it had improved. It tasted slightly better than at yesterdays lunch,

4 Likes

Which one was it ? the Martin Wassner?

yes.

Interesting. I’m used to wines tasting better after a day or two (maybe 50% of those i drink do), but have rarely found this with Pinot.

Interesting, I had a very similar experience last weekend!

1 Like

We only drink with a meal and then we only dink half a bottle at a time. Four large glasses in a bottle lasts two meals for two people.

1 Like

Always loved this wine, but needs min 30mins in decanter to be enjoyed properly

Hello, I enjoyed your post. Agree that Pinot often improves after opening. And after recent trips to Germany we have been really taken with the Spatburgunder.
Not sure how much you let it warm up after a night in the fridge but we are always taking our Pinot on the cool side.
In recent summer visits to my home town of Melbourne I have experienced nice Pinots absolutely massacred by serving too warm eg 20C +

1 Like

I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds after taking it from the fridge. Not sure if thats a good idea but i dont like it cold.

1 Like

:astonished: :confounded: :confounded:

either don’t put it in the fridge for as long or take it out earlier would be my advice…certainly wouldn’t nuke it !

7 Likes

Why not? I can see no problem other than the risk of overdoing it.

4 Likes

so there is the reason…

also they aren’t uniform in heating things (and they don’t work from the inside out like many people think!)

guess I like just being a little more organised

2 Likes

Wine in A Microwave.
Just seen this:

3 Likes

I’d love to have some advice on how to keep red wine overnight. Every time I put the remains of a red wine bottle in the fridge at the end of the night, it is off the next day. Now I don’t pour a glass and then refrigerate the wine there and then but I have tried to vacuvin after every glass and put the remains in the fridge overnight. It’s still terrible the next day. Would be keen to have some hints and tips.

1 Like

I generally drink a bottle over 2 days, or less often 3. I don’t put red wine in the fridge, but usually just cork it or leave in a decanter it in my kitchen, which is neither a hot nor cold room. I find it’s fine.

I used to vacuum pump overnight but I very rarely bother now. The second night the wine is almost always as good, if not better than the first; the third night a bit more variable. I don’t put red wine in the fridge unless I want to chill it briefly before drinking, for instance with pinot noir.

5 Likes

I do aa Andy, but i do keep the wine in the fridge to slow down the progress.

Hate Vacuvin as it seems to deaden the flavours. i prefer gentle oxidation. Others may be less tolerant of a degree of oxidation.

i also find many red wines are better on the second day. While there are lots of factors regarding which specific wines are better or worse, the main determining factor for me is quality (aka price).

Sub £10 wines are almost always worse. Most white wines too. Anything young and over £20 or so will most likely improve, as will most quality red wines from Southern France. Musar and most “natural” wines are better, sometimes massively so.

3 Likes

You could try an Eto. There’s a thread on these pages here.

I have one, I think it keeps the wine in good condition, but not done any kind of testing. Even if it is absolutely useless, it’s a nice-looking (if rather expensive) decanter…

1 Like

At ÂŁ119.00 for cheapest stainless steel version i think its a luxury i can do without.

1 Like

There are a number of approaches that I use. As many here already know, I’m the only wine drinker in my household and I only drink about I glass a night. So a bottle lasts me 5-6 days and this has long been a big issue for me.

Simplest approach: if you’re only looking to keep the wine open for one night and therefore, I assume, you’re drinking roughly half each day, then get a half bottle, preferably with screwcap. When you open the bottle immediately decant half into the half bottle so it’s good and full and close it. It should be pretty much perfect the next day especially if left in the fridge.

Cheap approach: cans of inert gas work fairly well. Plenty available online. One example here.

Slightly less cheap approach: AntiOx stoppers. I have a couple of these and they probably work as well as the inert gas but are less of a hassle. Simple but only moderately effective. There are other examples of similar systems available. I think they all work on the same principle and are probably comparably effective. Note that they need replacing periodically.

Expensive approach: get an eto as @Brocklehurstj suggests. Not everyone is thrilled with them but I find mine excellent.

Most expensive approach: Coravin. Probably the most expensive but also the most reliable. I haven’t got one of these but it is on my wish list.

3 Likes

I’m in agreement with the various observations people have made about the sort of wines that generally improve (or not) after a day in the fridge. So just to add to that -

… some wines go through a dull patch, and some can close right down, most famously red burgundies. So I don’t think it’s a coincidence that people have trouble keeping pinot noir wines the most frequently, but it’s worth remembering that if your wine isn’t one for laying down - or is already mature - then it’s very possibly in the category that is unlikely to improve overnight.

There are always exceptions of course. Tahbilk’s Marsanne goes on improving for around 15-20 years in bottle, though I must admit I have never tried keeping it overnight - it would be worth a try. Some rieslings seem immortal, even some cheaper ones, though I’ve no idea why. etc. etc.

There’s a whole separate discussion to be had on oxidative wines, especially fortified ones.

3 Likes