01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Online tastings with 50ml tasting sets

I took part in the Fine Wine Champions: Bordeaux Taste Along with Tim Sykes way back in August and as part of the tasting there was the option to buy a set of six 50ml bottles.

It was perfect for getting a good overview of both the nose and the taste without spending a large sum and perhaps more importantly, having to drink them all ASAP for fear of them going bad!

I’ve signed up for a few tastings since but not seen any option to get the tastings sets.

Am I missing something or do we not do them any more?

1 Like

Small samples were available for the Madeira tasting a few weeks ago but most now seem to be just 3 or 4 wines, for which you buy your own bottles. If you’ve registered you should get a notification of which wines to buy.

2 Likes

OK thanks I wasn’t sure if the Bordeaux tasting was a test event to see if was worth doing samples. I vaguely seem to remember that being mentioned but might have misheard.

I did get the notification about the wines to buy for the upcoming Introduction to Burgundy but was hoping for samples.

Oh well I guess I’ll just have to quit complaining and make up for Dry January! :grin::wine_glass:

2 Likes

Hello @Chris_Gilbert,
Anna here from the Tastings Team.

We try to include kits where we can but unfortunately they don’t provide good value for money unless the wines are more expensive. As @CCouzens mentioned above, we have recently done them for Blandy’s Madeira (where Blandy’s supported the cost) and for Symingtons Family Estate ports.

We’re currently working with suppliers to reduce the cost to our members and so we’re hoping to introduce some more cost effective solutions in a couple of months.

In the meantime, our ‘Sip-Size’ events every Tuesday are designed to have three affordable wines for each event should you be happy to buy full bottles, and our ‘Focus On’ series that we are about to launch will have some more expensive bottles whilst diver deeper into the topics it covers.

Please do keep an eye on the website, our first sample kit is due for an event with another one of our buyers in the first week of April that we are going to be launching in the next couple of weeks and we aim to have them far more regularly after that.

Many thanks,
Anna

8 Likes

Thanks Anna that makes sense.

I’ve signed up for one of the Sip Size events next month after Dry January but as it stands at the moment, COVID has robbed me of my sense of taste and smell so that might be put on hold! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: