01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

North London group

That was my impression too. Not sure I’d be allowed in the club :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We may have set a high bar for the first one, not sure I can continue for long in the same vein either! More importantly, it’s an opportunity to share wines we enjoy with others who appreciate them - we were very clear there was no quality/price/age threshold. So you, @birgir and all would be very welcome next time!

@NW3Andre - late Sep/early Oct sounds like a good time. @Embee’s Donnhoff post made me think about Germany as a theme, plus northern Italy perhaps…

Jim

4 Likes

I have a soft spot for Riesling. I still have some bottles of that aged Pegasus, from NZ, that the Society offered. That might be worth sharing. I also have some interesting Mosel bottles and some amazing Rieslings from California - by Graham Tatomer (he makes some of the best Rieslings in the US).

2 Likes

This one would be in the category of ‘a punt’ but could be interesting…

4 Likes

Ha ha, not sure I can wait till September for this!

Jim

1 Like

Looks like Riesling could be one of the themes for next time.

ALL welcome.

2 Likes

ALL welcome, I repeat.

2 Likes

I hope I can make it - quite an amateur still!

2 Likes

How did I miss this?? Argh! I only live 10 minutes away from Crouch End Cellars (often buy cheese there) and these are just my kind of wines: white Rhône, Burgundy and Côte-Rôtie. And a '72 Rieussec! Torture! I need to get back on track and follow the Community more closely again. Looks like you all had an amazing time.

5 Likes

September is here, so I think it’s time to start planning. Could also be first week of October, but the whole point is to report back on the Summer’s activities, wine-wise.

As for a theme, I suggest we go with one or two grapes, instead of whole regions.

If we go with grapes, I would suggest that at least one could be Riesling, as I have some really interesting examples from Southern California (!!!) for you to try.

2 Likes

This sounds great, and I’d love to join the next group if there’s space

2 Likes

Would love to join and like the Riesling theme very much. I had a chance to visit some growers at the Mosel that are new to me over the summer.

1 Like

Ok. Let’s start gathering suggestions for dates and locations. N or NW postcodes.

1 Like

Well done for bumping this, Andre

I’m clear w/c 13 September and w/c 4 October, and have plenty of Riesling - mostly German, but a variety of styles and ages.

1 Like

Great to kick this off again. Tues 14th or Weds 15th Sep are good, week of 4 Oct less good but Thurs 7th should work well (and possibly Wed 6th).

Jim

I can do the w/c the 13th September on any day other than the 15th, and the whole w/c 20th September, but not the two weeks after that. I’m good again the w/c 11th Oct.

And I have almost no Riesling!

We’ll need a red grape too - Nebbiolo or bdx blends would be the obvious choices, perhaps, if we don’t want to repeat pinot or syrah.

I have some nice riesling, although nothing particularly old.

Jim

1 Like

Some ideas for red:

• Cabernet Franc (also known as Achéria (Basque Country, mainly in Irouléguy), Ardounet (Béarn), Bidure (Graves), Bordeaux (Switzerland), Bordo (Romania), Boubet (Pyrénées-Atlantiques), Bouchet Franc or Gros Bouchet (Saint-Émilion and Pomerol), Bouchy (Madiran and Béarn), Breton (Val de Loire), Cabernet Gris, Cabrunet (Pomerol), Capbreton Rouge (Landes), Carmenet (Médoc), Couahort (Béarn), Plant Breton or Plant de l’Abbé Breton (Chinon in Indre-et-Loire), Sable Rouge (Tursan), Trouchet (Béarn), Véron (Nièvre and Deux-Sèvres), Vidure, Vuidure, Grosse Vidure (Graves), Aceria, Arrouya, Burdeas Tinto, Cabernet, Cabernet Aunis, Cabernet Franco, Fer Servandou, Gamput, Grosse Vidure, Hartling, Kaberne Fran, Messanges Rouge, Morenoa, Noir Dur, Petit Fer, Petit Viodure, Petite Vidure, Petite Vignedure, Véron Bouchy, Véronais)

• Grenache / Garnacha ( also known as Abundante, Aleante, Aleantedi Rivalto, Aleante Poggiarelli, Alicant Blau, Alicante, Alicante Grenache, Aragones, Bois Jaune, Bordò, Cannonaddu, Cannonadu Nieddu, Cannonau, Cannonau Selvaggio, Canonazo, Carignane rosso, Elegante, Francese, Gamay del Trasimeno, Gamay Perugino, Garnaccho negro, Garnacha Comun, Garnacha negra, Garnacha Roja, Garnacha tinta, Garnatxa negra, Garnatxa Pais, Gironet, Granaccia, Granaxa, Grenache noir, Grenache rouge, Kek Grenache, Lladoner, Mencida, Navaro, Navarre, Navarre de la Dordogne, Navarro, Negru Calvese, Ranconnat, Red Grenache, Redondal, Retagliadu Nieddu, Rivesaltes, Roussillon Tinto, Roussillon, Rouvaillard, Sans Pareil, Santa Maria de Alcantara, Tentillo, Tintella, Tintilla, Tinto Menudo, Tinto Navalcarnero, Tai rosso, Toledana, Uva di Spagna, and Vernatxa.)

• Mourvedre ( also known as Mataro or Monastrell)

@ruifilipe, @HBlackburn ,@DavidCB , @Birgir , @Tomitom , @joshvoulters and @ricard , please confirm availability, so we can work out a date. We will move to location afterwards.

@owmarcel , you are welcome to join too.

2 Likes