01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Newcastle wine and dine recommendations

I am spending a couple of days in Newcastle in a few weeks time. I would appreciate some restaurant recommendations. Most likely staying in Hilton Gateshead.

Walk over the swing bridge to The House of Tides (need to book).
Restaurant at the top of the Baltic Art gallery for the view.
Cafe21 too all but a short walk away.
I would also consider a wander through the pubs of the Quayside, like the Red House, to the Tyne View then up the Ouseburn river to The Ship. If you have time, think about a visit to the Victoria tunnel at the Ouseburn, a tunnel built under Newcastle to carry coal to the quayside and then a multiple site bomb shelter in the 2nd world war - fascinating stories.

@DrEm thanks for the ideas, will check some of these out.

The o@szaki1974 I second all of the above and will add The French Quarter. It’s owned by a friend who is French and they have a good wine list , the food is small plates so think French style tapas! Great atmosphere and within walking distance of your hotel. The wine bar in Fenwicks is also worth a visit. But for great food and atmosphere head to either Blackfriars housed in one of the oldest buildings in Newcastle (definitely book) or head down to their sister restaurant near the quayside Dobson and Parnell. If you’re after some decent bars, we frequent Lady’s Greys , just off Grey street and for craft beer ; Brew dog which is ace , that’s further down Dean st.
If Spanish is your thing I cannot recommend highly enough Kaltur based on Newbridge st ( between Grey st and the Big market) . Amazing tapas and great wine!! It’s tiny so booking is essential! Have a great time ! Oh and bring your coat , it’s chilly up here!:wink:

Thanks for the recommendations, looks I am spoilt for choice :smile:

I thought the point of going to Newcastle was to leave your coat behind. Especially on a night out, coz you’ll likely lose it,:joy::snowflake:
If you are there on a Thursday to Sunday, you’ll see what I mean…

@DrEm haha … as I’m Irish and am a blowin in Newcastle, I’m exempt from The big Market, Flares nightclub and bare arms and legs on a night out :+1:. :joy::joy:

House of tides was superb on my one visit. Varying experiences in Blackfriars, one good, two less so. Settle down cafe, near station, is good for soup and sandwich at lunchtime.